Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new or slightly used car - looking at the RAV4. Any thoughts on these? Anything I should be strongly considering as an alternative?

TIA!

Suzie

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Never had a Rav 4 but had a Toyota SUV and loved it..... a friend of mine had a RAV 4 when they first came out.....I was always worried about rollovers the way they were made but they've vastly improved them ove the last couple years.....definatly check out crash ratings and such but I believe you can't go wrong with a Toyota....

·
Registered
557 Posts
kpowers3 said:
Never had a Rav 4 but had a Toyota SUV and loved it..... a friend of mine had a RAV 4 when they first came out.....I was always worried about rollovers the way they were made but they've vastly improved them ove the last couple years.....definatly check out crash ratings and such but I believe you can't go wrong with a Toyota....
There was an accident right near my house where a RAV 4 rolled over when they were making a U-turn and the driver was ejected from the vehicle. The newspaper said that they were not going very fast. and they had new 2007 RAV 4

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
New design or old design?

I mean either way really.. you can't go wrong with a Toyota if you're looking for a small SUV.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
True, you really can't go wrong with a Toyota, but the Rav 4's are so darned expensive.

Have you considered the Jeep Liberty? I LOVED mine! Kinda wishing I hadn't traded it now.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an explorer - but dont need that big any more......will check safety ratings....(oh and while my explorer has been mechanically sound, it has a ridiculous amount of rust for a car that is 7 years old and that was treated well). #1 son is inheriting the explorer when he gets back from school. #2 son has a little grand am....we need some kind of third vehicle so it makes more sense for me to get the newer car than them!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I don't know how your dealerships work in your area,but we have been able to test drive demos or used vehicles for a weekend. We haven't done that in a couple of years,so I'm not sure if they still allow that . If you are making a transition from large to small, a 20 minute test drive isn't enough,(IMO). I really thought I wanted a Suburu Outback and after I drove it for 2 days I realized it wasn't for me. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
When I bought my CR-V, I looked at the Rav 4s. The CR-Vs have SO much more room than the Rav 4s do. Granted, these were early 2000s models, so maybe they've changed the interior since them. But the CR-V looked downright vast and spacious inside compared to the other.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I had a Rav4 the first year they came out. I'm not sure how they are now, but that car had NO power. It took like 5 minutes to get to 60 mph. It was tiny and the interior felt and looked cheap. I hated it. That was 10 years ago, so maybe they have made improvements. I want to add that overall, I think Toyotas are great cars.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe? I have one and have had it for 4+ years. I love it and the Warranty can not be beat. 5 years/ 60,000 bumper to bumper and 10 year/ 100,000 power train.
I have not had to pay for anything on that car except regular service and tires. There is plenty of room in the back for Emma and a new puppy to be named later ( Maybe another year)

Sue

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I was looking into cars or a small SUV recently too I kind of like to Toyota Matrix better than the Rav4 mainly because it has more room in the back and gets better gas mileage. I like the looks of the Rav4 but I don't think it would be any better than my car since Mocha would still have to ride in the back seat.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a 2002 Rav4 and love it. The new ones are larger than mine. Longer and a little wider. Go test drive them, I have never had any problem and they drive great. Pretty decent gas mileage and pretty much get up and go for a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
We have a CRV. We test drove the RAV-4 before buying the CRV.

Our impression was that the CRV was much bigger inside, which was a big selling point for us. We've been very happy with the CRV

The Toyota salesman was very rude to us, which sealed the deal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Melissa said:
When I bought my CR-V, I looked at the Rav 4s. The CR-Vs have SO much more room than the Rav 4s do. Granted, these were early 2000s models, so maybe they've changed the interior since them. But the CR-V looked downright vast and spacious inside compared to the other.

I did the same and ended up with a 2002 CRV. The 2006 is larger - but I love the way the cargo door opens left to right and I don't have to open the door totally and Jax can't jump out then on the 2002 Model. The new CRV has cargo door top to bottom. I love my CRV - glad I didn't choose the Rav 4 which was my original choice.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
My mom and Dad had a Rav 4, LOVED it! Drove from So. Cal to Washington State about 6x's per year with 3 dogs (1 lab) and a cat. Mom said everyone had there own space. I believe with a toyota you can't go wrong, I have been driving nothing but Toyota's since 1976 and I drive my cars for 12 to 15 years. Right now I drive the Seinna, not bad for a mommy van, it meets our needs. Would LOVE to get the RAV 4

G

·
I bought a Rav4 in 1997, and had nothing but problems with the door locks, breaks and a few other things, got on my nerves, but I liked it. Then once it hit 120,000 miles I had to put over $5,000.00 into it just to get it to run okay, wasn't worth it, so we got rid of it and bought a Chevy Equinox and we absolutely LOVE, LOVE it, were even thinking about getting a second one :)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
we had a 1999 rav 4.
sherri used to do a lot of flea markets
that thing would get loaded with alot of junk
inside by putting the seats down
and as much as we could get on the roof

we rear ended someone - air bags worked good and the whole front end didn't crumble like I see other vehicles that size

drove well in many boston snow storms
we carted around 2 dogs comfortably
good on gas milage

we beat the crap out of it till it had a little over 100,000 miles
then traded it in

I think all we did was replace tires & brakes

I believe it is rated very safe for suv in its size

good luck with your search

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys!

We are considering (in no particular order) the rav 4, crv, mitsubishi outlander, will look into the matrix..., need to look more at the forester. I am re-thinking the whole "give the explorer to the son" idea too - if I can get a decent trade in, will do that and then buy him something a little more gas-pump friendly.

One of the downsides of all these is they are big enough for Cooper but what about if/when we get Cooper a puppy of his very own. Will there be enough room for both of them?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts