Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of a rare red lab? A guy at SU's work told him that
he's getting one and he's paying 1100.00 for it.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Fox Red Labradors are just a shade of yellow. Marlan (someones puppers on this board) is a handsome fox red lab. BUT they ARENT rare and its not right to charge more for them.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Fergus is a red....and they aren't red...and they aren't worth extra money.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
$1100 isn't a bad price for a lab if you live in the Northeast or one of the areas where they run a $1000 to $1500...but a fox red lab is NOT rare, and one should only pay what the going rate of quality labs is in your area.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He said it's gonna be red like an Irish Setter, But unfortunately
SU is starting a new job a week from monday and he won't be able to see pics when he gets the puppy.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Cinnamon is a red and I didn't pay extra for her....she is no where near as dark red as those pictured in Labby's link from Little River Labs (whose dogs I just love). She was one of 13 pups in her litter of yellow labs. They ran the range from light creamy color with darker ears to her she was the darkest. Her parents were both on the lighter end of the range but her grandma on the mom's side was a red. She is 2 1/2 and is still getting darker. I have noticed she is lighter in the summer and I think that is because of the sun and the pool chemicals.

This picture shows her coloring the best

G

·
$1.500,- is a lot of money for a dog, but i'am also willing to pay it, but over here in the Netherlands, is a price of 500 a 800 euro more commeon, even for each type of Labrador ;)

And a lot of Labrador's who look like fox-red, they've come out of a breed with chocolate's, well the most i know do so ;)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Here is a red lab... His name is Marlan. Take a look. This pic is a good example of his colouring.

And since I have the chance, I'd like to add my two cents to this entire argument.

In my opinion, there is a difference between a litter of yellow pups that happens to have a couple dark ones in it and yellow labs that are specifically bred for their fox-red colour (amongst other qualities such as health, temperament, etc.).

I am not advocating for paying more or less for red labs, but I think there is a clear difference between what my pup looks like and just a darker yellow pup (Maybe not Cinnamon, since she looks quite dark in her pics). I know that there are good, reputable breeders out there who are selling healthy red labs.

I do not know if they are rare country-wide, but I do know that virtually nobody where i live in Canada has seen or heard of one. I do not go around telling people he is 'rare'. If they ask, I say he is red. If they continue to inquire, I always say that he is technically a yellow lab.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts