Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the lucky owner of one of those rare Pointing Labradors. If you have a Pointing Labrador, post his picture here!!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Beautiful picture Linda! I love the green frame.

Frankie is more of a pointer than Tucker. I just haven't been able to capture it on 'film' yet.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! Yes I have one too, didn't catch it on film, but just the other day a moth was in the house and my Buck did this same pose when asked "wer is it"?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Ruby points all the time if we are out walking in the woods, she does it in the yard sometimes when there is a bird on the fence

This is the best I can do...she is on the right.

·
Registered
868 Posts
This from my bookmarks -- a pointing lab breeder. I know nothing about them; just happened to be looking for pointing labs at one time.

http://www.shadowmountainlabs.com/

Krissy, my first lab, would point. Reba shows no inclination to hunt.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Wonderful pointer you have there!
Don't know if I can find a pic of my pointador. Will check.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Cappy popinting Chukar partridge in the NV desert ...

Cappy pointing a covey of quail on our property here in TX ...

Remi's mama "Laurie" on point ...

And finally, Remi "pointing out" the empty bottom of her bowl!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/NevadaJim/RemiB-day-5.jpg

and just in case you didn't know it, a "point" is merely an interrupted step that is a genetic trait displayed by all predators from felines, to canines to foxes, wolves and the big cats of Africa.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Pointing toward home....for dinner   ;D

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
debjen said:
Of course he was pointing at some cheese...LOL..

Oh yes, I've seen that one.

Actually, Toby has done the point pose for birds and Other Interesting Things on our walks, but I haven't photographed those moments either.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Cool pics!

is it not a Lab trait?
From the Labrador Retriever Club's website:

"The clear and unarguable fact is that the Labrador is a retriever, not a pointing dog. There may be a residual instinct to point in certain Labradors. That does not make the Labrador a pointing breed. It was bred for use as a retriever of game and in this country particularly, as a waterfowl retriever. There are any number of sporting breeds that excel at pointing upland game as well as flushing such game. The Labrador is not one of those breeds and should not be bred or sold to the public as a pointing breed."

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Tatyana said:
Cool pics!

is it not a Lab trait?
From the Labrador Retriever Club's website:

"The clear and unarguable fact is that the Labrador is a retriever, not a pointing dog. There may be a residual instinct to point in certain Labradors. That does not make the Labrador a pointing breed. It was bred for use as a retriever of game and in this country particularly, as a waterfowl retriever. There are any number of sporting breeds that excel at pointing upland game as well as flushing such game. The Labrador is not one of those breeds and should not be bred or sold to the public as a pointing breed."
With all respect to you, Tatyana ... Poppycock!

Whoever authored that quotation is entitled to their opinion but to make the statement that "The clear and unarguable fact is that the Labrador is a retriever, not a pointing dog"  is just plain wrong, uninformed or demonstrative of a closed mind unwilling to accept the true facts.

If they were to say that the Labrador is not a pointing breed, I wouldn't debate that since it was a group of individuals that classified breeds into different catagories.  However, when they add "There are any number of sporting breeds that excel at pointing upland game as well as flushing such game. The Labrador is not one of those breeds"

Having trained gun dawgs for fifty years, I can positively assure you first hand that I can convert ANY pointing BREED dawg into a flusher, and conversely I can make a pointer out of virtually any "flushing breed" dawg.  Indulge me to try it this way ... I was born with the ability to learn speech.  Genetically,  I was provided with the physical and mental components required that ultimately allow for speaking.  However, I wasn't born with a command of the English language.  I had to learn it and someone had to teach me.  Similarly, at age 64, I don't speak Russian.  But I'd bet if you were willing to teach, I could learn ... at least some.  Accept that analogy? 

1 - 20 of 66 Posts