Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It turns out that I have quite a bit of empty spaces in my classes for the next couple of years.. some of the classes are only offered one semester each year and I had to space them out into 2 years instead of one.

I am trying to figure out the best way to situate them so that I'm not taking too many difficult classes at one time. That said, I have all of my required classes split up between the next two years but I don't have enough credits to completely fill them up.

I'm a Zoology/Pre-vet major, so I have more than enough science credits, but I'm looking for some other classes to take that will be easy and interesting.

I've already been told that there is a communications class that's based on interpersonal communication that is pretty great, so that's one..

any other recommendations?!

Thanks!
Justine

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
If something similar is available, you might consider a history of medicine class. I took it as part of my history degree but I think a premed/prevet major would find it interesting. If you like reading/writing an upper level literature class would be fun, too. (OK, so I have degrees in English and history, so I might be biased. But really, a class on Shakespeare is pretty interesting). I took some interesting polisci classes, too. The ones I liked the best dealt with a single branch of the government (executive, judicial, congressional were each classes).

If you want a pure elective, why not consider a photography class? BUT, consider taking it pass/fail if you do. I have a friend (marine science major) that took photography for fun and made a C. Wrecked her GPA.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
What is your minor? I minored in journalism. Gave me great stuff to talk about in my interviews :)

If you already have a science-related minor I would consider double-minoring (in something non-science) that you enjoy as well - if you have that much space available.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
My daughter took a class on French films. She was taking a French class and had been to Paris the year before. She really enjoyed that class. What is being offered that you would find interesting? (edited to add--she was a pre-vet major at the time, also.)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Take an intro. to philosophy class. It's a learn just for the sake of learning type class, but there aren't many times in your life that you get to do that.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am 2 German classes away from having a BA in German.. funny that I switched majors when I was so close to being done.. Oops! :eek: I'm now a Zoology major with a concentration in Ecology, Evolution & Organismal Biology and I guess Pre-vet is kind of like my minor.

I would love to take another photography class, but I'm definitely going to see if they have pass/fail classes. History of medicine sounds kind of interesting, too! :)

I did take a philosophy course already and let's just say that it wasn't my cup of tea. It was a LOT of reading on top of a heavy courseload of science. It was not fun! ;)

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Yeah, philosophy classes suck. (Sorry Robin!)

Personally, I would take the 2 German classes and double major.

It's hard to take an "easy" undergrad course. Masters courses are way easier. I'm almost finished with a MSE in Software Engineering and I had no clue it could be so different from undergrad.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Definitely take the German courses. You never know when you might need something like that to fall back on, and it always looks good on a resume.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Consider taking a business class or two. As a vet at some point you will be probably be working for yourself or in a small partnership.

I agree with you I hated philosophy.

Other undergrad class I took that I loved.
Folklore -English Dept Lecture/Reading

Beginning Pottery (I need a brain dead simple class my senior year and was working for the art dept instructor talked me into it. Got a A never any home work just show up once in a while and spend some free time completing projects)

World Religions-was strictly a lecture/reading class. Lots of guest speakers. Gave me a real understanding of what people believe and why.

I also took several climatology classes but then again I am a weather geek.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It really depends on your interests. I think psychology is really interesting, and I've taken several classes just for fun. I've also enjoyed taking some anthropology and sociology classes. Business classes aren't necessarily fun, imo, but they can be practical and useful to have. If you were that close to a German major, tho, it may not be a bad idea to look into a double major. If nothing else, those German classes may be a good GPA booster for you - esp during a hard semester, I try to take a Spanish class or two for that reason. :)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
A survey course of art history can be great - makes you more well rounded culturally. Theatre can be a lot of fun too.

I took a couple of very enjoyable philosophy courses. A themed lit course (focused on mysteries or magna or similar) can be excellent - but only if you are up to a lot of reading.

I also agree - a craft/art course like pottery or weaving is fun, expressive and may birth a new hobby for you.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lot of good suggestions! I think I might just look into some German classes... the only bad thing is that some of them didn't transfer over and they didn't count for a specific class.. just "general credit," so I don't know what level of class I could get into.. Worth looking into it, though! :) I could easily 4.0 those classes.. definitely.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
If you're serious about a double major, I would speak with an advisor or dean in the languages department. They may reconsider your credits and will help place you in the correct classes for your skill level. I took some Italian courses that were able to transfer towards literature courses once I showed them a syllabus and my work from the course. My engineering advisor wanted even less than that--just asked some general questions about some of my classes to see if they counted towards speech and an ethics course.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts