Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you heard, AKC is now going to allow Rally and Obedience trials to be seperated (wait, weren't they already?).

Our club usually has them together. Several other venues I go to has them together, and it's very hard to show in both, I always have conflicts that stress me out, so I've stopped showing in both.

I guess #'s are down, and AKC is trying to find a way to bring them back up?

Opinions anyone?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I'd be surprised if they weren't allowed before to be held separately (actually, I'm sure they have been on different day at our regional specialty the past few years!). As a treasurer for an all breed club, we pay separate fees for Rally trials and have been all along. It's why the 2nd entry discount won't work for Rally. Anne

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I think that what it has been, is that you can't have a Rally trial without also having an obedience trial. You could have an obedience trial without rally, but not rally without obedience. I also think that they could be held on separate days. This kept shows from having rally without also having obedience. I'm not sure if it will help attendence. I know that it is hard to do rally and obedience at the same show, but with the economy the way it is, I want the most bang for my buck, and that means entering them all instead of having to go to different shows. I don't see clubs having more shows, I see them maybe dropping either rally or obedience on a particular day, thus decreasing entries overall. We'll see.......

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I think that what it has been, is that you can't have a Rally trial without also having an obedience trial. You could have an obedience trial without rally, but not rally without obedience. I also think that they could be held on separate days. This kept shows from having rally without also having obedience. I'm not sure if it will help attendence. I know that it is hard to do rally and obedience at the same show, but with the economy the way it is, I want the most bang for my buck, and that means entering them all instead of having to go to different shows. I don't see clubs having more shows, I see them maybe dropping either rally or obedience on a particular day, thus decreasing entries overall. We'll see.......
But I don't think that is the case. I am almost positive that PSLRA had rally one day, obed the next last year and the year prior at their specialty. I didn't enter for that reason as I need to do both when I burn a tank of gas...

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I said that I thought they could be held on different days, but "next to each other". I just think that you couldn't hold rally all by itself - I'll check out my old regs book.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
From the AKC Rally Regulations- updated in 2008, same as 2005

Chapter 1
General Regulatioins for Rally Trials
...... In order for a club to receive AKC approval to hold a rally trial, the club must hold an obedience trial with all regular obedience classes offered in conjunction with the rally trial. If the obedience trial is to be limited, the rally trial must also be limtied to not exceed the number of houts as the limmtiied obedience trial. The rally trial must have the same format as the obedience trial....

I think that they were afraid that clubs would start offering rally and not obedience.

·
Registered
423 Posts
the AgilitySecretary I work for wants to start offering Rally at the 40 or so agility shows she does a year. That might get some of the agility people to start doing rally and maybe just maybe a few more doing obedience.

Kelly

·
Registered
65 Posts
All the shows I've been to it's been rally and obedience going at the same time or obedience am and rally pm at a specialty. I also know what it is like to be going back and forth biting nails to make sure everything goes well and not any ring conflicts,etc.

Agility and Rally would be good because then all the agility folks hanging around would have something else to enter. I don't do agility but have been told a lot of waiting around for your turn to run, so might be nice to be able to earn a rally title also at an agility match.

I'm for more options AS LONG AS, it does not impede on obedience which the numbers have been down lately. If clubs had the option of offering one or the other I hope that they wouldn't forgo obedience because Rally is a bigger money maker due to the fact that Rally draws in more entries...though I think it has plateaued for now and not growing quite as rapdily as it was.

If it helps out the clubs then perhaps it is a good thing...just don't tread on obedience :D

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I would LOVE if if rally were available at Agility trials. I would go all the time.

I also think it would be good to have a separate rally trial. What would be wrong with some clubs only offering rally. People would go and enter. It's not going to take away from the regular OB numbers. In fact, if they get hooked on rally, they may want to go on to OB.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I would LOVE if if rally were available at Agility trials. I would go all the time.

I also think it would be good to have a separate rally trial. What would be wrong with some clubs only offering rally. People would go and enter. It's not going to take away from the regular OB numbers. In fact, if they get hooked on rally, they may want to go on to OB.
Same here! Rally and agility would be awesome :) That's one of the main things holding me back from starting to compete in agility - I already feel stretched traveling to Rally shows and the thought of having to find sep places to go to for agility just is too much stress (and effort - I am a lazy competitor at heart).

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
LOL, I had to laugh at your "lazy competitor" comment because that kind of sums me up too....around here there is a horse arena where they have alot of agility trials. It's 5 minutes from my house. I was already thinking if they start doing rally, I would have so many more chances to stay home AND compete!!!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No way would I do Rally at an Agility trial. I don't think it would fly. Folks at agility are generally die hard agility folks. They don't LIKE obedience.

I usually show in five or six classes a day in agility. I have enough ring conflicts. There is no way I'd add Rally to the mix.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
No way would I do Rally at an Agility trial. I don't think it would fly. Folks at agility are generally die hard agility folks. They don't LIKE obedience.

I usually show in five or six classes a day in agility. I have enough ring conflicts. There is no way I'd add Rally to the mix.
I agree. Running 2 dogs at once, sometimes w/ rings going at the same time can be EXHAUSTING, esp if you sign up to work the trial. And the number of club members needed to put on events is challenging enough. As a club treas for our all breed, I am surprised at how much is just assumed by club members that the worker bees are always available (not to mention the club treas!). Glad to almost be done /w my 2nd term! Anne

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
As fast as agility goes, I can't imagine trying to show in rally and agility and then trying to figure out your conflicts.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I know it would be tough I did watch one handler run 10 dogs in agility and 4 in rally and one in obedience and one of the dogs she was running was also entered in confirmation. She was running all over the place and agility was about a 1/4 mile from obedience and confirmation..lol She was smart though and had extra crates by Obedience/Rally. I have seen the same person run up to 13 or 14 dogs in agility so she is used to the routine of running dogs.
Really all of the shows I have been to that offer obedience,confirmation,rally,agility,and CGC testing, etc.. have all seemed to run rather smoothly.

kelly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts