Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*sigh*
It is pouring buckets out there!! Not to mention it's that cold rain that just makes you want to stay in bed (well, most rain does that)

I must go find my rain boots to wear to school! I hate when it rains on the days I have to walk 10 minutes to get to my next class.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
If it keeps raining like this we're gonna have to build an ark. LOL I'm so ready for a sunny day.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
We're on day four of the drearies, and there is no sign of letup. Supposed to be grim all week long.

bleh

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
We had, I don't remember, 8" of rain in April? 4 or 5 more than usual. I think Riley's soccer got cancelled more often than it got played.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
The sun is starting to come out here after 3 straight days of rain! We had less rain than average in March and I guess April and May are going to make up for it! At least it has reduced temps for now.

I checked the weather channel stats--avg rainfall for may is 5.24 inches...well as of 4 May we are already at 6.07 inches...crazy how much it has rained since Friday!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
We're on day four of the drearies, and there is no sign of letup. Supposed to be grim all week long.

bleh
I'll see what I can do about bringing this warm sunny weather back with me from New Mexico.

I am in Farmington, NM (far NW corner, just about 20 miles or so over the CO/NM line) for work this week.

Weather forecast this morning for the week is sunny & getting gradually warmer each day. Today's high is predicted to be 82, but Thursday 90!!!

:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sorry Stacey, I feel your pain! Except we have like 300 raining days a year:D Just kidding, but it does get old very quickly- hang in there!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Now is a good time to look for and buy some bargains in rainwear. Some outdoor suppliers (e.g., REI, Campmor) either have them on sale or shortly will have.

www.campmor.com
www.rei.com

Look especially for gear that's called breatheable. These fabrics keep water from penetrating the fabric while allowing the inner humidity and sweat to evaporate out through the fabric -- thereby saving you from saturating your clothing in your own sweat/humidity that always occurs when wearing just plain "waterproof" material for more than a few minutes.

GORETEX is the best of the breatheable fabrics but it's extremely pricey. Several years ago in an LL Bean outlet store I picked up a Goretex hooded poncho for only $75 (marked down from $250) and it's a treasure I use often.

But there are several other processes much cheaper than Goretex and which do a fairly good job. Just stay away from waterproof material; look for and choose fabrics called breatheable.

Also -- in Costco or Sam's Clubs look for double canopy golf umbrellas. These have very little metal to keep you from proving the effectiveness of Ben Franklin's lightning rods plus their smaller, upper canopy that overlaps the larger doughnut shaped lower canopy provides a space through which wind can exit so you're neither carried away like Mary Poppins nor having your umbrella turned inside out. Marvellous innovation, amazing it took hundreds of years to develop.

And if, for some reason, you wish to keep most of your Lab's fur from getting too saturated or muddy, look in Cabelas for neoprene dog vests.

www.cabelas.com

Good equipment can turn even soggy trails into happy ones for you & yours.

Will ETA links.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
keep water from penetrating the fabric while allowing the inner humidity and sweat to evaporate out through the fabric
I'm guessing this is a NO....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts