Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how many of you remember my "cat" story from about 3 years ago. It was June and hot outside.
We had noticed a "kitten" in the neighborhood and unbeknownst to me, my youngest(Jordan) had taken it upon himself to "feed" it. Soon it was hanging around just our house and it was then that I noticed it was very skinny and seemed almost to week to meow. I told Jordan that we could not keep it but we really needed to find it a home and maybe should take it to the vet. It was such a tiny little thing that I was SHOCKED when Jordan came in the house screaming something was wrong with the kitten. It was in our garage "howling" and "stuff was coming out of it's butt" (Jordan's words NOT mine). I ran to the (HOT) garage to find this tiny kitten giving birth to another itty bitty kitten. After giving birth she just laid there exhausted. I took the tiny kitten and wiped it off and cleared the sack from it. I didn't know what to do but I knew they would both die if left in that hot garage. I was afraid momma wasn't going to make it anyway. We made a bed in a laundry basket and took them (flea covered) inside to our basement. Poor kitten wasn't done birthing. She contracted again and again and gave birth to a couple of masses of stuff that looked like bloobs of goo. Again she contracted and out popped another kitten even smaller then the first. Finally she was done. We cleaned her up. Feed her some chicken broth (I had nothing else to give her) and then took her and her tiny family to the vet. The vet was very kind but didn't think our little family would make it. He gave us little tubes of pasty stuff to help feed momma and kitten formula for the babies. He didn't think momma was strong enough to feed them. They told us how to try to get a handle on the fleas momma had and was passing on to the babies.
Long story short....
They all three survived. With all the time and energy and emotion we had invested it was impossible to re home them. Suddenly we went from having no cats (and no cat knowledge) to a three cat family. It was crazy but fun. The Momma was named Libby because in the early days when Jordan was feeding her without my knowledge that is what he called her. The "twins" became Birdie and Bogey (Jordan is a big golfer). Our little family grew stronger, got shots and "fixed" at the vet and the fleas eradicated. Today Libby is still tiny, Bogey is HUGE, and Birdie was smaller then Libby. Yesterday after school Jordan came home and again I heard THAT scream of terror (like the day they were born). "MOMMMMM something is wrong with BIRDIE". I run to find Birdie, eyes rolled back in her head and having like a seizure. I won't go into gorey details but after rushing her to the vet, we had to have her put out of her misery. The vet thinks she had some type of stroke or aneurysm (not really sure what he was saying because all that was getting through was the fact that we were losing her).
Jordan is really sad (and so are we). I have tried telling him that thanks to him she had almost three wonderful years instead of her life ending in a hot garage that day. It is still hard.

Shortly after birth:

Momma and Babies:

Birdie:

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Awwww...thanks to you and Jordan those kitties did have a life and I am so sorry to hear about Birdie. Prayers for all of you.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That was an awesome story Lisa. The strength of the three of them gave me chills.

Rest In Peace, Birdie. You will be missed.
:'(

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Oh, wow. What an amazing story.

I am so sorry about Birdie's loss. She was a beautiful cat (I am a sucker for grey tabbys.)

RIP, Birdie.... :'(

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Sorry... she was beautiful

Godspeed little Birdie

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
If I weren't at work I'd be crying my eyes out. Trying to keep them just at the misty level now... :'(

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I'm so sorry about Birdie, Lisa. :( She was a beautiful kitty. And you are right, she had 3 wonderful years she wouldn't have had otherwise.

Godspeed Birdie :'(

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I'm so sorry Lisa...Godspeed Birdie. :(

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
What an amazing birth story. Those kitties were so lucky to have your family.

RIP, Birdie. What a beautiful cat.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Though it's terribly sad that Birdie has gone to the bridge, at least she goes there now having known love and companionship. You did a wonderful thing in saving them, and giving Birdie a wonderful life. (Bless You for it)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts