Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're trying to find somewhere new to go on vacation. I picked up NC and SC tourbooks from AAA a while back and think the Outer Banks sounds like fun - a nice place with plenty of stuff to do.

So any seasoned Outer Banks vacationers? Is there actually lots of stuff to do there or does the glossy catalog make things look more fun? =)

Also, places to stay and/or realty company recommendations to find a condo/house rental would be great too.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
We have some friends who go there every summer with their family. We went with them a couple years ago - stayed in Hatteras, which is the southern portion. I enjoyed it, but I was used to CapeCod and it was alot different. One road down the middle, LOTS of new, big houses on each side, no real communities where we were - all tourists. We spent a day on Ocrakoake (sp) Island and I really liked that because it was more "real" - a "real" little town. If I went back, I'd stay there. I did enjoy it though, and loved the beach (right outside our back door)

This is where we stayed

The view outside our backdoor

I love this picture of SU and me - we don't look the best, but I think we were enjoying ourselves!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
We have been going down to the Outer Banks for years now. We always take our dogs. We rent from Village Realy. There are so many beautiful beach homes tht allow dogs. It is much more laid back than Myrytle or Ocean City. But I like the laid back atmosphere. You can also try Seaside realy & hatteras realty. We have been staying in Corolla that past several years. I like it & we are closr to the drive on beach for 4X4's.
More of our friends have been going to the southern end & staying in Avon & Hatteras. It all depends on what you like.
After many years with our sons, going to Daytona, Myrtle, Ocean City....I truly enkoy the laid back style in the Outer Banks.
One thing though about Corolla......they have very high dunes. :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
We went to Topsail Island one year, I went to Wrightsville Beach three weeks ago, Emerald Isle one year, and Ocracoke every other year. I LOVE it.

What sort of things do you like to do at the beach? We take dogs with us :) We go to the beach, swim, kayak on the sound, dig for clams, catch crabs, have fires on the beach, hike trails on Ocracoke, rent a small boat and go around the sound, go on tours of the houses, watch movies and sleep in :)

If you want more info on where we've stayed and rented (we usually rent a house, but we've done a few hotels/B&Bs too) just PM me - I have some exams this week and not sure if I'll find this thread again.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We go to the beach, swim, kayak on the sound, dig for clams, catch crabs, have fires on the beach, hike trails on Ocracoke, rent a small boat and go around the sound, go on tours of the houses, watch movies and sleep in :)
That sounds like heaven! Well, except for the kayaking. Jason and I were just talking about that the other day and how I didn't think I could do it - claustrophobia and a fear of the water combined, my head might explode!

The only thing I worry about is my 11, almost 12, year-old being bored.

I'd like to stay somewhere quieter, less touristy. My family always vacationed in Panama City Beach and it's a crowded crazy place. We've gone to St. Augustine a few times and I like that so much better because it seems much calmer and more low-key.

So if there are parts within the Outer Banks that are different like that, I'd prefer the more peaceful parts.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
We went a few years ago and stayed in Duck. It was ok we spent a good amount of time at our beach house in the pool out back. We did go to a few places and the beach some. We went to Kitty Hawk and a few light houses that were pretty neat.
Main thing I didn't like was that there was 1 main road so traffic getting in and out was really bad when we went.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts