Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK we have a new puppy, he's pretty good but... he poops like 7-8 times a day!! I thought they were suppose to poop twice, once after each meal....what the hay?!?!?
Also he has been pretty good sleeping, the last 3 nites, little wimper at 5 or so...but last night he started at 4am...and howling!!!!
He has a litter box in his very big crate to use to go potty, and he did use it last night.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
I don't like him so much today :(

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
So, how old is this pup? That can have a pretty significant effect on the answer. An adult dog will tend to go twice a day, but a but definitely poops more often.

How long they sleep, is also quite different for a 10 week old verses a 6 month old, or a 5 year old.

Illness and parasites also affect poop frequency and 'quality'.

Need more information. Have you talked with your vet?

tonka1? Where are you located? I ask from Minnetonka. But then you type 'what the hay?' and that makes me think Canada.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Not sure how old the pup is, but like Ed said, there could be some sort of parasite (tapeworms, roundworms, etc) that can cause an upset tummy and loose stools. Has your dog had a fecal check at the vet and/or deworming treatment(s)?

Also, I have never heard of someone using a litter box for a Lab. I think it may actually put your dog back on the crate training, since you are teaching the dog that it's okay to go potty in the crate. Most people will use a crate and use a divider so that the dog only has enough room to lay down, sit and turn around comfortably. That way, they won't want to pee/poo where they sleep. Just a suggestion. :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Litter box?

It could be the food you're feeding him. What is it? When my (adult) labs were on Nutro, Frankie pooped like 8 times a day! We're on grain free now and it's back to twice a day.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Some breeders use litter boxes in the whelping box or x-pen but it is not recommended to put one in your pups crate.

The idea of the litter box in whelp area is to keep it cleaner and if the breeder uses shavings or pellets the new owner can put a bit of that in their yard to teach the pup to go in the same spot all the time.

It could be the food causing all his stools. Are his stools formed or loose. However, a stool sample should have been checked by your vet if you have not done that since bringing your pup home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts