Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Kirkland brand, they look like gel tabs...do I need to open them and pour onto the food or just give the tab?? Do I give a daily dose??

TYIA

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I pierce the capsule and squeeze the liquid onto his food (and throw out the capsule). Rocky gets some everyday.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I read on another board that someone went to a seminar where they spoke of fish oil caps. The speaker said they should be pierced and squeezed because a dog's digestive system works faster than a human's and that a dog will not get the benefits of an intact capsule. I know when I was giving Derby probiotic capsules, they passed right through his system, came out in his poop. I then started opening the capsules and sprinkling on his food,

·
Registered
85 Posts
I toss one 3V Cap and one DermCap in Piper's breakfast bwol every morning. She gobbles them right down with the kibble. I know her body does a fine job breaking the capsules down because if I run out of either I can see a change in her coat/skin condition within 2-3 days.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I think Julie (California Lab Lover) tested this with a glass of water!! LOL....appeared it broke down within minutes of hitting the water. Anyway, I use the Kirkland Brand (or I did, I use Nupro now) and tossed it in the bowl with the kibble. If you want to be ABSOLUTELY sure, you can prick it, squeeze it and then toss the squeezed part in the bowl, too.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I know when I was giving Derby probiotic capsules, they passed right through his system, came out in his poop.
If I saw evidence of that -- as you did with Derby -- I'd do it that way, too.

BUT, I bag every one of Puff's poops (unless she goes in tall weeds or brush) and have never seen or felt any tablets or capsules.

Puff usually begs for her share of peanuts or mixed nuts (I give her cashews) from the 3 lb. Kirkland jars when we're driving someplace and although she crunches them, since she doesn't have molars, the pieces come out largely undigested.

But the Kirkland G&C tablet (which she swallows whole) has never been visibly or tactually present in her stools and neither has the Fish Oil capsule.

And when she's been on cephalexin capsules (antibiotic), the vets at K-State have never asked me to open the caps and sprinkle them.

I think Puff's digestive system makes it not a problem for her.

Y

·
0 Posts
I use the Spring Valley fish oil capsules from Wal-Mart. I pierce them and squeeze the oil on the food. I, too, did a water and vinegar test. At the end of 12 hours the capsule was still not dissolved, although the oil was visible in the solution. Different brands might have different ingredients in their capsules that affect the rate of absorption. This brand has gelatin, glycerin and soy. Because there is a possibility I may need to give 4-6 capsules a day, I think it is better if the capsules do not build up in his system. (I won't have to worry whether he is passing them or not.) BTW, Barney is now taking 3 a day and I'm seeing a change in his coat already. There is also less shedding and itching.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, have another question then, is once pierced capsule enough for an 75 and 85 lb lab? Coats are dry and am hoping the fish oil will help!!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I give Puff one each evening.

Several years ago, I talked with Dr. Brookshire, the vet for Diamond, Kirkbride, etc., and she talked with their dietician/nutritionist and said one of the Kirkland FO caps would be a good match for the omega fatty acids already in the Kirkland food.

BTW, it just occurred to me for those who are punching a hole in the caps and squeezing out the contents -- aren't you leaving some good stuff behind on the inner surface of the capsule? Like oil clinging to a car's dipstick? After dribbling the oil over the food, why not toss the near empty capsule in the food, too, so it all gets consumed?

And, in the interest of empirical science, I want to report the following experiment:

I heated up 4 oz. of tap water (in an 8 oz. glass) to a temp of about 100ºF (37.8ºC) -- the normal temperature of the inside of a dog.

Into it I dropped a Kirkland (Costco's house brand) Fish Oil capsule (1000 mg "concentrated" fish oil w/ 300 mg Omega-3 Fatty Acids).

Within a few minutes, a couple small drops of oil appeared on the water's surface.

Within 15 minutes, very little of the capsule's remains was visible at the bottom of the glass and a large pool of oil was on the water's surface.

Puff may feel cheated tonight getting only one PB tablet -- I'll save this water and oil and add it to her evening meal of Kirkland C&R kibble.

This is probably something worth doing for those using other brands than Kirkland.

Possibly they have different ingredients in their capsules that don't dissolve as quickly? (Although I'd think most would be pretty standard.)

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fabulous experiment, thanks for the data, can't ask for better research than this. My boys will be getting one capsule with their dinner meal!!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
einsteins legacy said:
Fabulous experiment, thanks for the data, can't ask for better research than this. My boys will be getting one capsule with their dinner meal!!
its a good idea to make sure you are giving vit E when supplementing with fish oil.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
bearsdad said:
einsteins legacy said:
its a good idea to make sure you are giving vit E when supplementing with fish oil.
The food she is feeding has Vit E supplement in it. I feed the same thing...showed it to my vet...she said it was enough to be fine without adding additional E. (Same as yours, too, Bob).
Good info, though, Eric. Randi, if you give more; then you might need to consider this. Again, I no longer use fish oil since I had to order Nupro for Dutch anyway. Now they all get it. Their coats are great, too soft for a lab, but hey...I know I cannot have it all with my guys. ;)

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I made a tiny "knife" cut in each of the fish oil pills and no one warned me that they squirt all over the place!! Yuk, the whole place smelled like sardines!! Oh well, after a little fantastic who's gonna know??

·
Registered
242 Posts
I put the fish jell cap (amber in color and soft) in Sam's food twice a day intact. I had no idea that it might possibly be passing through. He has a beautiful soft coat. I had no idea we might need to expel the oil. He always eats them...never has left one in the bowl.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hogan gets one everyday - he LOVES them! He would do anything for that pill, more than any doggie treat! We seen a difference right away with his coat and shedding too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts