Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sound like a dumb question but does anyone know if they become drug addicts as a result of their work? I mean they spend time getting trained to detect narcotics & then spend all their working lives sniffing them out. Could they also suffer withdrawal symptoms if they don't have a bust for a while or when they're retired? Think about it. This is how humans get addicted by sniffing this stuff so surely it would follow that dogs could be affected the same way?

We've got a couple of customs programs running on tv right now dealing with the contraband that is constantly smuggled into the country which got me wondering about this topic. Next time I run into a drug dog at an airport, I'll ask its handler. It might make for an interesting conversation. :)

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Since the dogs don't have to be very close to the drugs in order to detect them, I doubt that this is a concern.. they are trained to either return to the handler or sit/lay down as soon as they scent the drug, so they wouldn't be inhaling it directly.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I agree with Kaytris.

For instance, it's the smoking & inhaling of marijuana (or baking it in brownies and eating those) that gives the high. Just smelling the weed doesn't do it -- otherwise you'd see some people walking around with bags of weed over their noses. ;)

Similar differences exist between the smell of, say, cocaine, heroin, crystal meth, etc., and the way they're used as drugs to get high.

Besides, most drug sniffing dogs that I'm aware of get a treat & praise right after a find.

But please ask the handlers -- I'd be interested in hearing the answer.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I've watched that one show on Animal Planet about the drug dogs that they train. They are really smart, but I don't think that they actually ingest any of the stuff.. at least not on purpose.

The dog that was on the last show I watched was taught to whine and scratch at a spot when he smelled something, but was not allowed to actually pull through all of the stuff and pull out the bag of drugs.

I also think it's amazing how they train the police dogs to chase after people and grab onto them, but then they are completely gentle in everyday life.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I agree with the above, but wanted to tell you an interesting story. A girl I work with adopted a golden retriever from a local rescue. We swear she was a drug dog because everytime she is around a car, any and every car, she smells all the wheel wells. And she does this thoroughly. We jokingly say she must have been taught to sniff out drugs, but sometimes I wonder if it's true!

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with the above, but wanted to tell you an interesting story. A girl I work with adopted a golden retriever from a local rescue. We swear she was a drug dog because everytime she is around a car, any and every car, she smells all the wheel wells. And she does this thoroughly. We jokingly say she must have been taught to sniff out drugs, but sometimes I wonder if it's true!
There's an easy way to find out. Plant some drugs behind a wheel & watch how she reacts. :D

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
No - they don't ingest the drugs, they are just trained to locate the scent of the drugs - subtle difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts