Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As posted in my other thread Dee ended up having emergency surgery today for an abscess in the back of her mouth. The Vet has prescribed Cephalexin (antibiotic), Metacam Oral Suspension, and Tramidol if necessary....with all the various instructions. I was wondering if the Cephalexin pills can be crushed or at least halved. I never thought to ask while I was there. I guess I can find something to make them go down easier, but they are fairly large pills and her mouth is no doubt still going to be sore.....even with the pain meds. I'm hoping she will want to eat something later as that will make it easier. Should I be concerned about any side effects with any of these drugs? I guess if there is they must be rare or he would have mentioned them. TIA

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The only way I have ever seen cephalexin is as a capsule. I am assuming you have it as a tablet, right? If so, is there a split on it? It is designed that way to make it easier to break in half. As far as crushing it I would check with the pharmacist/vet first. Some medications should not be crushed but rather dissolved in liquid instead.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Don't know about possible side effects but the easiest way to give pills is in peanut butter. Works every time for my guys. :D

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hark, yes the Cephalexin are in 500 MG tablets. I have to give her two every 12 hours. They do have an indentation in the middle, so at least I can break them in half to make them easier to swallow.

Garth, normally she loves a bit of PB. I also wrap her worm pill in cheese. It often takes a few tries to get it down as she sucks the cheese off. LOL
If she has any appetite at all tonight I should be able to get them down her okay. It's just that her jaw was so painful last night that she didn't want me near her face in case I tried to have another look. Hopefully the pain meds the Vet gave her earlier will have helped that. One way or another she has to have the antibiotics.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I think the Metacam will make her feel better. I used to give it to Huckle and it really helped. I remember it having such a sweet pleasant smell.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Koda was on both the cephalexan and the metacam after her two surgeries.. the ceph is easily cut in half.. koda's dosage was 1.5 tabs with every meal so i cut them with a steak knife, easily.

If the peanut butter doesn't work, you could try margerine and try and stuff it back into her mouth.. it's supposed to slide down easier that way.. but given she doesn't want you near her mouth, that may not work.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Koda was on both the cephalexan and the metacam after her two surgeries.. the ceph is easily cut in half.. koda's dosage was 1.5 tabs with every meal so i cut them with a steak knife, easily.

If the peanut butter doesn't work, you could try margerine and try and stuff it back into her mouth.. it's supposed to slide down easier that way.. but given she doesn't want you near her mouth, that may not work.
Thanks Kelli. Her appetite kicked in tonight and she ate some mushy kibble with chicken mixed in. I added a bit of warm chicken broth too. I broke the two Cephalexan pills in half and dropped them on top of the mix and no problem...all four pieces went down okay. They smell kind of funny, so I'm surprised she ate them, but thankful I didn't have to force them down as she's still not keen on me touching her muzzle at the moment. It's sure good to see her eating again.

I'm just looking at the Metacam Oral Suspension. It came with a syringe that has weights marked on it, so if she weighs 66 pounds (30 Kiligrams) I guess I just fill the syringe to her weight mark. I had so many questions when I was in there this afternoon, but I think that's what the Vet said. It also says it has to be mixed with food, so hopefully it tastes okay.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Indy was on antibiotics for almost four weeks... they are a bitter pill and he refused to take them ... I tried peanut butter, cheese, meatballs, hot dogs... the thing that worked best was FIG NEWTONS... they are supersticky in the middle... He didnt seem to notice them as much...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts