Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vet said to get Sydney spayed at 4ish months old. Now I am not sure if this is right or not because I have only had to get cats fixed our other dog was a shelter dog and 8 months old so she had everything done already when we got her. I am thinking if this time frame is right of getting it done like the 17th or 18th of May as her last puppy kindergarten is the 16th and she will be 4 1/2 months old then. The next class doesn't start until June 12th so that gives us plenty of time between classes. So here are my questions. 1) Does this sound right for when to get her spayed? 2) How long did it take before they can resume their normal activities? 3) How long do I need to wait to take her say camping? I am asking this last question because supposeably we are going camping Memorial day weekend and that would only be just over a week since the surgery. Canceling the camping trip wouldn't be a big deal as we camp almost every weekend in the summer so putting off one weekend wouldn't matter. Thanks for any advice you all have.

Here is a picture of Sydney at 13 weeks.

Jenny

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I can only tell you what I've seen/heard/read, including what I've seen/read on this forum.....
opinions differ vastly.

I will say that vets mostly tend to recommend early neutering (like around 5/6 months) whild I've seen breeders (not all) recommend waiting until their as old as 18 months.

I've seen/read/heard that if you do it early before they mature, they may develop bone problems, among various other health problems. Then I've also read/seen reports that contradict this.

I was guilt tripping the whole time I was planning to neuter Rocket because I was trying my best to make sure I did it at the absolute best time. But then I realized - who really knows the absolute best time?????????????

So - before you let that happen to you, don't pressure yourself or judge yourself.

I will say (and I haven't seen/read/heard anything to contradict this) that neutering before they mature will:
- diminish aggression,
- reduce the likelihood that your dog will be a target for aggression,
- will possibly cause your dog to mellow out a little bit,
- will reduce their desire to "mark" territory if they tend to do this, and
- if you do it before a male starts lifting his leg, many times they never start.

There are more benefits, which I can't recall at this time. But I will say that I noticed a difference in all of the above with Rocket, within a couple of weeks. I was wanting to wait until after his first birthday, but at 7mo when he was going thru puberty, I realized I wouldn't last that long, so he got clipped at around 7/8mo - thank gawd!

Personally, I think anything before 6mo is too young. But that's really a personal preference thing. The important thing is that you do it!

Good luck

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
We had Molly spayed at 6 months & with Abby we waited until she was 14 months old & had a heat. There are many opinions on this.

Abby was spayed March 20 & her stitches came out 14 days later & she was ready to do everything. :)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I had Tal neutered at 7 months and like others said the spay/neuter question, from a physiological perspective, is far from conclusive, imho.

I would have like to have waited until he was 12 months but I went ahead and did it at 7 months, and would have done the same thing if I had a female instead of a male.

Six months seems to be the absolute minimum to spay/neuter so I think I would wait until at least then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts