Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I bought some strawberries and a blueberry bush from Gurney's....they shipped last week and I planted the blueberry bush so far. I need to get the strawberries planted but am concerned as it is going to get VERY cold. So many other things have planted but I worry about shocking these new plants. Should I cover them to protect from frost?

Another question...I have not put down my pre-emergent for crabgrass. I live in MI and wondered if it was too late?

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
If it is already coming up, it's too late!! ;)

If you guys are just thawing out, I'd put it down NOW. There is some sort of post emergent you can use; saw it on a show just the other day where you spray just the crabgrass itself. Heck, then I'd have no grass at all!! ;D

No clue on the berry plants except if it's going down in the 30's still at night, I would cover them.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
You can put your crabgrass preventer any time this month. The ground has to reach a temp of 60 degrees for 10 days for the crabgrass to germinate. Usually that is not until sometime in May for us.

You could plant the strawberries, but I think I would cover them very lightly with some straw for protection. When we got strawberries in the greenhouse we kept them in the frig until we planted them or sold them in punches.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
My strawberries survived our 30 F nights, I just watered them and then covered them with a light blanket. I took the cover off each morning around 9am.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Ditto for covering the strawberries, I'd cover the blueberry too, just to be safe, at least at night for a little bit, until it acclimatizes. My dogs ate my blueberry shrub the little devils.

eta: Blueberries love acidic soil, so if you have pine trees anywhere near, take their needles and spread it around the soil. Your blueberries will love you.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I will do that! I don't have straw on hand but do have hay, would that work short term? I will cover my blueberry tonight! OH, my strawberries are going to be happy! LOTS of manure for them from last spring! All composted and ready to go LOL

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Also make sure you have straw underneath the plant to protect the leaves and fruit. The soft fruit farmers around here plant the strawberries through a ground cover sheet to protect the upper part of the plant and all of the rows are raised to stop water ponding around the base of the plant.

How many are you planting ?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
samson said:
How many are you planting ?
I don't remember LOL....I bought them in the fall when they had a sale and forgot how many....they ship them when the are ready.

I will do that! I have a ton of hay that we could put around it. I Hope that works as good as straw.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
i was just talking about this

I put a couple of strawberry plants incontainers last week
and by wed night weather predictions say its going to be 37 with a real feel of 30 :/
and that cold night trend is going to last a few nights
go figure I already had my AC on

I plan on bringing my tomato plants in the garage at night

thanks for the post Jules
I hope the hay works for you

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
You still have at least 2 weeks before you need to put the crabgrass preventer down. The ground is still thawing and it is still to cold for any type of germination. You can put it down now, just make sure it will not rain within 48 hours.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hunter said:
You still have at least 2 weeks before you need to put the crabgrass preventer down. The ground is still thawing and it is still to cold for any type of germination. You can put it down now, just make sure it will not rain within 48 hours.
COOL! I have time! Last year our grass was thin and MAN did the crabgrass take over. Our lawn, again, looks bad..but I think it will take a few years. Weed and feed for the first time this spring.

G

·
I thought you needed 2 blueberry bushes in order for them to produce fruit?? I might be wrong though. My strawberry bushes stay in the ground year-round and they always produce, without any care, I just wait for them to turn green and start watering them. I will be starting my planting in the next few weeks inside cause we are still getting below freezing temps. :(

G

·
I'm having to learn yard and lawn care. Something I know nothing about. Here in OR the weather has been wierd, it was 70 the other day, and then it was rainy and cold for the next 3.

I'm not sure when to put down the weed and feed and all that fun stuff.

I did plant a weeping willow tree in the back yard yesterday :)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rexduke said:
I thought you needed 2 blueberry bushes in order for them to produce fruit?? I might be wrong though. My strawberry bushes stay in the ground year-round and they always produce, without any care, I just wait for them to turn green and start watering them. I will be starting my planting in the next few weeks inside cause we are still getting below freezing temps. :(
Yes, and they have to cross pollinate. We have that covered....we do have 3 other bushes we bought a few years ago...you can never have enough blueberries!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts