Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread by Abby's mom on whether her girl is a mix made me think about Theo's coat. He's all Lab, with the classic white patch on his chest. Now he's 6 1/2, almost 7, and he's starting to grey prominently on his muzzle and feet. He started to grey around 5. He seems to be greying much earlier than other Labs we know who don't have the white patch. Is this connected, or just a coincidence?

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Not Laura (obviously LOL) but my experience is it has more to do with heredity. Some line grey earlier than others.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
CJ has had frosty chops since he was 6 and he doesn't have the white patch.

Ooops! I'm the wrong Laura!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
My black Lab Bess lived to within a few weeks of being 14 years old and had only the slightest hint of graying -- or of any of her fur turning white or gray.

My Puff (yellow Lab, 8 y.o.) has some lightening/whitening around her muzzle and especially so for the fur over which a Gentle Leader head halter strap went (until we discontinued it).

So I suspect it's largely genetics.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Not sure but my first lab Casey had the white patch on her chest and she did gray early around 5 or 6 years old

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Boomer started to gray at 2 1/2. She didn't have any white patches. Coincidence, I think Nathan.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
gordy started graying at two, what I want to know is now that he is older he is growing long hair at the bottom of his feet, is that normal?
ETA: gordy has a white spot on his chest.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I am not Laura or an expert. lol Ernie has been goin grey around the chin since he was about 6. In the last few months the grey is really starting to show. He was 8 in November. Kassa his litter mate had a white spot much the same as Theo.
Canula2000. Kassa always had long hair on her feet. What we called her slippers. Kept her feet warm and made her slip. I cut it.. Ernies are getting longer. I think the concrete rubs it off his.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Eddie is a mix- lab border collie- has a white patch on his chest and is 5.5 YO. He has been greying for the past year and a half or so. I put it down to his skin allergies as his chest and belly have greyed more and that's where he suffers most. His feet are going grey too, again his allergies show up there. His snout is changinig too and I figure it is trying to keep up with the chest and belly................

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Lexi's always had a scattering of white hairs, mostly on her tail & belly. No defined patches.

She is somewhere between 6-7 & I've just noticed she is starting to grey more. The underside of her muzzle is the most prominent place, but the scattered gray hairs are popping up in other places too.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Tucker has been greying since 3. He just turned 9 (2 days ago, bad me for not posting it here!!!), and he's really starting to show it more. His muzzle is very grey, his neck is starting, his feet are starting.....

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Wes showed his first gray hair at 3.

I showed my first gray hair at 20.

Coincidence? I. Think. Not.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Simon is five, and funny you would ask this but just last night I was noticing the grey on his chin. I think Angus has a little grey too, but his is less apparent being yellow. Simon does have the white patch. Seems like five is the magic number, from a lot of these posts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts