Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about time for the dogs' February heartworm pill and it just hit me this morning that I never gave them January's. I checked the calendar and it's been 8 weeks since their last one.

Is that okay since it's the middle of winter or should I have them both tested before I give them February's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
It's my understanding that the heartworm test basically looks for pieces from female adult worms, which if your guys were infected in January (highly unlikely!) won't show up in the blood until 6-7 months from now. (HWs grow first in the skin, then the muscle, and then head to the blood to start reproducing.)

I'd check with my vet, go ahead and give them the pill, and test in the summer :)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
It's my understanding that the heartworm test basically looks for pieces from female adult worms, which if your guys were infected in January (highly unlikely!) won't show up in the blood until 6-7 months from now. (HWs grow first in the skin, then the muscle, and then head to the blood to start reproducing.)

I'd check with my vet, go ahead and give them the pill, and test in the summer :)
That sounds like a good plan.

I guess if you were going to miss one, the dead of winter was a good time to do it. I think most HW medications actually protect to some degree up to 45 days, so in that case you would only be about 11 days late, if that makes you feel better. Still a good idea to test later.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Up until a couple of years ago I would stop giving HW pills in the winter and restart in the spring following testing - so I doubt you have anything at all to worry about. Check with the vet - but I am sure you are OK.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I stop giving heartworm meds in the winter.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I think it may have been one of the best months to miss. I would call your vet and ask what they think, but given the circumstances, I don't think you will have to re-test early. Now if it were April or May that you missed, then probably yes, but definitely not in the dead of winter!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts