Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do they live for? I know nothing about them except they make great entertainment for the dog when he sees them on tv.

This little guy lives up the road from me with about 10 other full size ones. One of my neighbours said she was talking to the owner & she said he was 32 :eek:

Why the hell can't we have our dogs that long? :(

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
My childhood horse just about 4 years ago at the age of 34. Little Red was a big girl and large horses don't live as long as smaller ones.

If you look at the older horses they have been well cared for all their lives. Red was 8 when I got her. Even though most people here just keep them in fenced yards/pastures my dad is from Vermont where you have to provide a closed shelter. So he built her a mini-barn that had 2 stalls and area for tack. Plus he put an evap cooler on it for really hot days. Granted evaps don't work well when it is humid about 8 weeks here in Phoenix area but it still was 90 or under so she wasn't out in the 115 heat she could always go inside as it had a tarp door for summer. The only time we closed her in with the regular door was on really cold nights or lightening storms.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
One of our "grade" horses we had when I was a kid lived to be over 35, the other was about 30, the same with the first Quarter Horse we had.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My Arabian lived to 23. The Minis can live way past 30-35..... our oldest is 15 this year.

Lucy

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have 2 horses, ages 26 and 28.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I remember a couple school horses being 32 and one 36. They both were just used for the beginner classes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts