Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does removing visible fat from beef remove cholesterol or is red meat just a big no-no? I was going to make meatballs for dinner, I think I'll mix ground chicken or turkey with 80% lean ground beef. Both SU and I are nearing 200 in our levels and it's time to start getting this in check.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
einsteins legacy said:
Does removing visible fat from beef remove cholesterol or is red meat just a big no-no? I was going to make meatballs for dinner, I think I'll mix ground chicken or turkey with 80% lean ground beef. Both SU and I are nearing 200 in our levels and it's time to start getting this in check.
When I posted almonds, oatmeal, olive oil...those were good foods to eat (I think you knew that)

removing visible fat is good. Look for meats without a lot of marbling (and thus not much taste and usually tough). However your best choice is to cut back all-together on red meat.

Randi, check out the "Mediterranean diet"....it's a diet encouraged by Cardiologists....a very healthy way of eating very good foods.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hubby is on cholesterol meds and his Dr. recommended a garlic suppliment and a fish oil suppliment also. They've really seemed to help with his count.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I've been able to lower my cholesterol by reducing the foods that "wiggle and walk",increasing fruits and veggies(fiber is our friend), use olive oil ,no butter or eggs and exercise more. Sadly the top 20 foods in high cholesterol are my favorites. Shrimp is in the top 20,crap!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I was unable to reduce mine by diet alone. But the best way to start is excersise and reducing foods that are high in cholesterol. Some people are just pre-disposed to cholesterol problems and diet and excersise will not cut it. Lipitor is your freind!

D

·
0 Posts
Almonds, olive oil, oatmeal(every day), brown rice, blueberries, broccolii, lean meats, black beans, chickpeas, flax seed, salmon,

These are somethings that I have used to help lower my chol.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Diet did not help lower my total cholesterol. I take Zocor and it went from 239 to 135. My side of the family all have high cholesterol and most are vegetarians. My Mom eats almost no fat, no red meat, is stick thin and still has to take meds.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
John's Mom ate more oatmeal and whole grains, cut back on the red meat, and exercised more and hers went down. She read somewhere that cinnamon can help lower cholesterol levels as well - don't know if you take it in a tablet or in extra cinnamon rolls ;) (just kidding!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts