Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a two lane highway, do you only use the left lane for passing? So if you're just cruising along, everyone drives in the right lane?

I can't quite grasp this way of driving is I understand it correctly (hence my asking). Out here, we have freeways. They used to be mostly 3 lanes (fast lane, middle lane, and slow lane), but I would say that most are a minimum of 5 lanes now (add the "next to the fast lane" and the "next to the slow lane" to the above descriptions). You use all of the lanes, although the fast lane is primarily occupied by type-A people and the minimum speed is between 75 - 80 and you'd better get out of their way if they are going faster. If someone is in the middle lane doing 62mph and you want to pass them, you just go around them however you can, either by using the next to the fast lane, or the next to the middle lane.

My daughter's boyfriend is going to school at Perdue, and he has mentioned that people tailgate him a lot. I'm just wondering if he is cruising, California style, in the passing lane, but doesn't know any better. So I am just curious about 2 lane etiquette.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,054 Posts
Oh, I got busted for that in my teens. I grew up in Cincinnati and everyone uses all lanes--you just get in the one that is moving!! (actually it is better now since they have built more expressways.) My college roommate told me that she could tell the drivers from Cincy because they always hogged the passing lane!!
Now I drive in the right lane except for passing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,753 Posts
If I'm going faster than the people in the right lane, I'll just stay in the left. I always keep one eye on my rearview though, and if someone comes flying up behind me, I get right over. I don't like to switch lanes a lot, but I do like to keep my cruise set and not have to hit my brakes all the time in the slow lane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,265 Posts
Janna and Boomer said:
If I'm going faster than the people in the right lane, I'll just stay in the left. I always keep one eye on my rearview though, and if someone comes flying up behind me, I get right over. I don't like to switch lanes a lot, but I do like to keep my cruise set and not have to hit my brakes all the time in the slow lane.
Ditto. I like to stay in the fast lane until someone faster than me comes along. Then I get over and let them at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,753 Posts
Ditto. I like to stay in the fast lane until someone faster than me comes along. Then I get over and let them at it.
Yep...because I'm usually going faster than everybody in the slow lane. So I guess I am using it for passing...just extended passing. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the clarification. I just couldn't imagine everyone crowding in the right lane and leaving the left lane unoccupied. I am going to pass this info along to Russ so that he will stop messing up the flow of traffic in Indiana!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
LarrytheLabs Mom said:
Janna and Boomer said:
If I'm going faster than the people in the right lane, I'll just stay in the left. I always keep one eye on my rearview though, and if someone comes flying up behind me, I get right over. I don't like to switch lanes a lot, but I do like to keep my cruise set and not have to hit my brakes all the time in the slow lane.
Ditto. I like to stay in the fast lane until someone faster than me comes along. Then I get over and let them at it.
This is what I do, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Don't get me started... They are called Passing lanes for a reason, left lane bandits should be ticked, for safety reason. Here in Chicago people drive fast and someone going 65 mph in the left lane could cause a serious accident. And yes even the police drive faster than the limit...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,961 Posts
Janna and Boomer said:
Ditto. I like to stay in the fast lane until someone faster than me comes along. Then I get over and let them at it.
Yep...because I'm usually going faster than everybody in the slow lane. So I guess I am using it for passing...just extended passing. ;)
That's me. I am often the one passing.... :laugh: I love the term EXTENDED PASSING. HAAHAAAA!

I get over is someone is going faster.... then I like to watch them for as long as I can to see if they get busted.... cuz they would have to be going really fast to pass me. haaa ahhaaaaa :laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
harleydog1 said:
Don't get me started... They are called Passing lanes for a reason, left lane bandits should be ticked, for safety reason. Here in Chicago people drive fast and someone going 65 mph in the left lane could cause a serious accident. And yes even the police drive faster than the limit...
So are they "officially" passing lanes and you can't legally drive in them unless you are passing a specific car? (That seems silly to me - why have the lane if you can't drive in it?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
The point is, that you can use the left lane for driving, but ONLY if you are going faster than the people in the right lane and only if you get out of the way for someone faster - and pronto! I do a lot of interstate driving and this is one of my all time pet peeves. I do sometimes stay in the left lane, but only if I'm going faster than the right lane, and never if there is someone behind me. People who clog up the left lane make me crazy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,054 Posts
I have seen signs on some highways that say "keep right except to pass" (or something close to that!) I think it is a highway rule!!
However, what I hate is when I am passing 2 or 3 cars and some jerk comes up behind me and tailgates until I finish passing and am able to get over. Hello! I am already going faster than the speedlimit and I am NOT speeding up to 90 just so you can get by faster!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,129 Posts
Seems like around here people with out of state plates are the worst to go slow in the left lane. The left lane is for passing and for going faster than people in the right lane. Nothing irks me more than a slow left lane driver!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Labsrme said:
The point is, that you can use the left lane for driving, but ONLY if you are going faster than the people in the right lane and only if you get out of the way for someone faster - and pronto! I do a lot of interstate driving and this is one of my all time pet peeves. I do sometimes stay in the left lane, but only if I'm going faster than the right lane, and never if there is someone behind me. People who clog up the left lane make me crazy.
I understand now. That makes sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,114 Posts
Labsrme said:
The point is, that you can use the left lane for driving, but ONLY if you are going faster than the people in the right lane and only if you get out of the way for someone faster - and pronto! I do a lot of interstate driving and this is one of my all time pet peeves. I do sometimes stay in the left lane, but only if I'm going faster than the right lane, and never if there is someone behind me. People who clog up the left lane make me crazy.
This is the definitive answer to this question.

Oh, and if your son's in the fast lane and drives exactly the same speed as the guy in the slow lane, thus holding up traffic everywhere, somebody is probably going to force him off the road. We don't cotton to that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Allie said:
Seems like around here people with out of state plates are the worst to go slow in the left lane. The left lane is for passing and for going faster than people in the right lane. Nothing irks me more than a slow left lane driver!
he he - don't get me started on out of state drivers. Between tourists and the number of people in the military who tour through San Diego, we have quite a few. I have no problem with those who are lost or are confused by the freeway system, but the out of staters who drive way too fast and/or tailgate make me crazy. Actually I should clarify - anyone who tailgates or drives over 80 makes me crazy - I'd like to get home to my family in one piece, thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,188 Posts
Hmm..this must be a regional thing, and I'm a hick from the sticks, but here's how it is in Kansas.

Around here, "2 lane" highways are just that--- 2 lanes. One for each direction of traffic. If you pass, you are going into oncoming traffic. I drive on a 2 lane state highway to work every day.

We have 4 lane roads (2 lanes for each direction (including US highways, interstates and turnpikes) and most of the time you stay in the outside (right) lane unless you are passing or there is high wind or construction or an obstruction. Slow traffic stays in the outside lane.

The cities are the only places with more than 4 lanes total. . . Wichita has 5 lanes on each side in places, I think. The center lane is for moderate/thru traffic driving. The outside lanes are for exits. I don't even want to think about KC traffic. . I'm thinking 7-8 in some places. I can handle Wichita driving, but KC intimidates me a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,170 Posts
In Canada, the left lane is for passing. It is the law and is clearly marked by white signs (white signs indicate a law) saying "Slower Traffic Keep Right". Sadly, too many people are inconsiderate idiots and don't mind this law. They then wonder why, when a person does get a chance to pass them, they get the single digit salute. Unfortunately, the police where I live are also oblivious to this law and do nothing to educate offenders.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top