Just Labradors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took my first swim in our pond today (see O&E). Emilu quickly joined me and I realized my first problem - she wanted to swim right up to me, and I have several nice scratches on my tummy to prove it. I had to shove her away and say "go away". Then Skippy did the same. I finally got Emilu to swim in circles around me, but Skippy gave up and went back on shore. If you get in water "over your head" with your dogs, how do you teach them to swim near you, but not too near , for saftetys sake?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Pat - Paddy and I were the only ones to swim together in a swimming pool. I had that problem at first, but then I just began to kind of do my own "swim thing" and Paddy got comfortable circling with me. As he gained confidence that we could swim "side by each" or separately, the pawing, clawing thing subsided. I think it just takes some practice. You be comfortable in your swim and Em will follow suit.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Pat - Paddy and I were the only ones to swim together in a swimming pool. I had that problem at first, but then I just began to kind of do my own "swim thing" and Paddy got comfortable circling with me. As he gained confidence that we could swim "side by each" or separately, the pawing, clawing thing subsided. I think it just takes some practice. You be comfortable in your swim and Em will follow suit.
What Paddy's mom said. Skippi initially tried to climb on in the swimming pool, but would later go in on her own and she would swim by herself.

We had Sam at a friend's cottage and I don't remember her being a problem trying to swim on me unless we were going for the same stick. She was a big problem in the canoe-she got out when the water was over our heads. Thankfully she didn't tip us, but she sure seemed surprised at the depth. (We were near enough shore, but it was well over our heads. She swam to shore and we paddled up and she got back in.)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Both dogs will initially try to climb on me at the start of swimming season for us, but they quickly remember "off". Yeller picked up where Jordan left off and tries to "save" me, and Abby is starting to catch on too. It's like having a golden pair of dolphins - I just grab their collars and they swim in tandem and pull me back to shore. I think they have fun doing that.

I've also taught them if they get tired they can have a brief rest in my arms, but I had to teach them "rest" for that - they will swim up if I say "rest" and sit motionless while I support them and let them catch wind and then off they go. Yeller will get out of the water for a rest, but Abby is a little more dense and attempts to stay with me the entire time.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
"rest"...that's so cute!

I have never gotten into the water with the boys, but I can totally see them doing the clawing thing too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Glad to hear it can be done with some practice. Last year at the lake Saff would watch where the people dove into the water & aim to jump directly on top of that same spot where her person disappeared. I ended up with some gnarly scratches from that. Gona have to try the rest command... what a good idea!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Cinder doesn't scratch us, but she will NOT get back on the boat if the kids are still in the water. I have to make the kids come rest so Cinder will. When we get in from the shore she swims with us, not on us. Ralphie (the pug) isn't the best swimmer so he tries to catch a ride. It's cute when he does it to Cinder. Not so much when he does it to us. lol

I can't believe I'm going to admit this....but I've considered getting Cinder a lifejacket. The boys want to stay in the water and I'm worried that Cinder will get too tired and we're in very deep water.

I do like the rest command idea. I'll have to see if we can do that.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I can't believe I'm going to admit this....but I've considered getting Cinder a lifejacket. The boys want to stay in the water and I'm worried that Cinder will get too tired and we're in very deep water.
LOL!!! I bought one for DD's Catahoula dog as she doesn't know the meaning of the word rest...so for her own sake I bought Dixie a life jacket.....she doesn't mind it at all!

I couldn't go swimming with Nadja.....she would drown me! (rolleyes)

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I have them for the pugs, which doesn't seem wrong since they're basically bowling balls with short legs and a nose so short that if water gets in it's in their lungs. It just seems weird for a lab.

The handle on the back of the pug lifejackets crack me up. They remind me of the purses on The Flintstones, remember? Alligators with handles on their back. bwahahahaa.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I keep the bumper handy to throw when they get too close to me.

They have learned NOT to jump on me (when they jump in the pool), but even then, now and again, I get sunk by a dog.

Have fun swimming with your pups!!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
One of the few things we miss about Vegas (aside from buffets) is our home with a pool.

That's where Cappy and two other of our gun dawgs learned to swim. It was especially true since Remi has never known a pool, she was only 3 months old when we made the move to Texas. And now 4 month old Rusty has had to learn to swim in our various ponds and wetlands with cold water temps until just recently.

Until Emilu does learn to give you space while with you in the water, I'd recommend your wearing a long sleeved T-**** and maybe even long shorts while "teaching" her that toenails hurt!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I've just made sure to avoid both of them when in the water.. a retrieving tool is good.. tucker prefers to doggy paddle with a stick in his mouth and just lolly gags around.. koda prefers to chase him.. so i keep my distance when i can.. i've never swam in a pool with them, but i can imagine i'd be scratched all to hell from both of them.. no thanks!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Suprisingly, Oakley seemed to know to keep her distance from me.
I bought a lifejacket for Oakley for when I go canoeing but now I want to teach her to swim along with me so she can come with me when I swim open water distance. Right now though she still gets too excited and doesn't understand that the lifejacket is helping her so she can rest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.