Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they really hard to make? My brother and SIL have everything they need for the new baby, except diapers. They have one diaper right now, and the baby is due in a few weeks!

I figured I'd buy a bunch of assorted size diapers and make a big diaper cake for them with a few toys, towels, and onesies as a gift.

After constant diaper allergies, I switched the boys over to cloth diapers, and I still have some of those...not sure if she's really interested in that though! lol Maybe I'll ask Doug and throw a few cloth diapers in too if he seems a little interested. They're really easy to use nowadays anyway, and since she quit her job to stay home with the baby and Reese, it'll be easier on their pocketbooks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I made one for my friends shower a few years back, it wasn't too bad..time consuming but I didn't think it was too difficult to do..They are really cute.
I know Stacey(AbbyandMolly) made a diaper wreath for a shower..it was adorable, I will definately try the wreath next time around..
I think they are a great idea for a gift, especially when the parents don't need much!! Good luck..

·
Registered
577 Posts
Diaper Cake

I haven't made one, but this is a picture of the one my daughter's friends made for her shower. It was different than ones that I have seen before and she was really pleased. She almost hated to take it apart so that she could use the diapers.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Felicia (Henry&Ollie'sMom) makes GREAT diaper cakes from memory of the old board. PM her and see if she can help you!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Thanks, Sarah!! :)

I've made two so far, one for my SIL and one for our office manager/boss' wife. They're not hard to make at all, and they are a lot of fun!

Here's my SIL's... I didn't know at the time if the baby was a girl or boy, so all the stuff I put in was gender-neutral.

Here's our office manager/boss' wife's cake... we had her shower after the baby (Evi!) was born, so there's "older baby" stuff on this cake...

PM me if I can help you in any way. :) Have fun!!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I don't make them but my friends mom does and I have bought a few from here.
She wraps the diapers differently than most other diaper cakes I have seen.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All of those are adorable! I'm glad they're not too difficult. I'll probably buy the stuff this weekend and work on it next week while the boys are in school. :) I found a website that gives step by step directions so hopefully I won't manage to somehow destroy it (I'm not very crafty).

They're having a boy, and their nursery has a red & denim (look) cowboy theme. I hope I can find some baby cowboy stuff to fit in there for them. :)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
All of those are adorable! I'm glad they're not too difficult. I'll probably buy the stuff this weekend and work on it next week while the boys are in school. :) I found a website that gives step by step directions so hopefully I won't manage to somehow destroy it (I'm not very crafty).

They're having a boy, and their nursery has a red & denim (look) cowboy theme. I hope I can find some baby cowboy stuff to fit in there for them. :)
If they are registering I would recommend looking at their registry to see if there is anything small you can use to decorate the cake with. On the "fish" cake above that I had someone make I bought a bunch of the stuff myself from her registry (the bibs, the wash clothes, the fishy bathtoys) this way it's really personalized.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they are registering I would recommend looking at their registry to see if there is anything small you can use to decorate the cake with. On the "fish" cake above that I had someone make I bought a bunch of the stuff myself from her registry (the bibs, the wash clothes, the fishy bathtoys) this way it's really personalized.
They haven't registered anywhere, which is a bit frustrating. Whenever we ask what they need, they say nothing. I finally got diapers out of my SIL. They ended up with three swings because no one knew they had one (we almost bought them another), we almost got them a stroller until we found out they have one already.

I found out they don't have a bouncey seat so we're getting them one of those, the diaper cake with a few goodies, and little things like baby nail clippers, baby soaps/shampoos, towels, burp cloths, different medicines (Mylicon drops (sp?), Infant Tylenol, etc...), thermometer for the bath water, etc... Things they'll need but maybe not think of until they need it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts