Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of farms and ranches around where I live. I frequently see horses standing in a field with what appears to be a hood over its eyes so that it can't see at all. Not like regular blinkers, but something that doesn't seem to let them see even a little.

Any idea what that is, why people do it, and can the horse really not see anything? Just seems weird, and not particularly nice, to have a horse out that way.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I think they're see-through fly deterring thingies.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Fly masks. Trust me, they see VERY well out of them. They look opaque but they aren't. They also act as sunglasses.

I'd love to have them on our guys but the youngsters either lead their buddies around by them or tear them off and lose them!

Lucy

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear it, cause it looks awful if you don't know what it is. My idiot husband gave me a big line about how some horses spook easily, and will run into fences so they put the hoods over them so they don't get hurt.

Heck, there are a lot of days where I wouldn't mind one of those to keep the bugs away.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Glad to hear it, cause it looks awful if you don't know what it is. My idiot husband gave me a big line about how some horses spook easily, and will run into fences so they put the hoods over them so they don't get hurt.

Heck, there are a lot of days where I wouldn't mind one of those to keep the bugs away.
WE have a blind horse that goes into self destruct once in a while ! Believe me, a hood over the horse's head would not calm them on it's own ! They aren't parrots !

·
Registered
868 Posts
We have fly masks, but the horses always manage to part company with them. We also have not had good luck getting them to fit. My Morab is very wide between the eyes and his eyelashes get worn off.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts

LOL at your SO - that's funny :)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
i need to pick storm up a fly mask. we have the spray but you have to apply it everyday. i have a friend who has the fly mask with the ears. it's funny when she puts it on. going to the big horse store this weekend, wonder what kind they will have?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts