Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am also a member of the Golden Retriever forum and a question was asked the other day. The question was which breed should I get a Golden or a Lab. I was interested in this because I have an 8 month old Golden, and have just been blessed with an 8 week old Lab (Pictures Tonight), the interesting part of this was how many people on the Golden board had comments like "Labs are Stubborn" or "Labs turn aggressive toward owners or other animals", My first dog was a Black Lab some 28 years ago, and she lived to be 12 without an aggressive bone in her body, and on top of it she loved to play with children.
I love my Golden as well as my lab,

What are your opinions regarding the 2 breeds?

Jim

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I think people who make generalized negative comments about a breed are simply ignorant.

I have known a few nasty Goldens - that does not mean that they all are. They can be a little too obsequious for my taste - but I think they are beautiful and great pets for the right people.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I've seen aggression in both breeds but mainly in goldens. Having said that I also question the breeding lines of those dogs. I am certain they came from dogs who should have NEVER been bred to begin with. I was bit in the face as a child by a lab.
But in general I think both breeds are WONDERFUL family pets. Why else would they be so popular?????!!!!!
I love goldens...just to needy for me. :D

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I have had both, and have friends that have both. Bauer is no more (or less) stubborn than my golden was. Both are/were equally loving and affectioniate. Labs are easier to keep groomed. :p I love both breeds.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Lock up the kids and animals. The aggressive black Lab is loose.

As the others have said, there are good and bad in all breeds.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I've never met a mean lab or a mean golden. I am a labrador lover at heart and know I will never (likely) own a golden. My aunt has a golden and she is the sweetest dog, but they're just not my cup of tea. I can't quite put my finger on it, but all goldens have a quality that doesn't suit me ... its not a bad quality, just one that doesn't mesh with me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I myself truly believe this Labby, I had a Golden (My Second Dog) I had to put down at 4yo because he tore a Cocker Spaniel apart literally, but up until that point never showed a sign he was aggressive, I also had 3 Aussie's whom 2 were angles and were perfect ambasadors to thier breed and then I had a CUJO Aussie that I could not let be around anyone or thing who passed a year ago from Convulsions. So your right in every breed there are those bad apples.

Jim

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I fostered my brother´s golden retriever for three months back when both Misha (my lab) and Myja (the golden) were around 9 months old. The golden was a bit more of a destroyer than Misha (but at that age all dogs destroy things anyway).

Main differences between both: Myja was a bit more sensitive, more affectionate, extremely smart. Misha is more playful and a bit more independent, not as velcro as the Golden.

Similarities: Both loved to play bitey, chase each other, very loyal, very friendly towards all living beings. Both love to retrieve and swim

In fact Myja loves me so much that everytime I visit my brother she sits besides my car waiting to jump in and go back home with me. She loves me!

Both are great!

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
"Labs turn aggressive toward owners or other animals"
Not sure if I want to laugh or cry at this comment. Peoples ignorance never ceases to amaze me. :(

Jo was brought up with Pugs, Chihuahuas & Shih Tzu's. Not once did he ever show any agression towards any of them although the little ones were prone to bullying him occasionally. :D As you can see by my siggy pic, he also loved next doors Rottie.

My GSD is also best friends with the Rottie so that IMO destroys this public perception that both breeds are vicious towards other dogs & people. As the others have said, there's good & bad in every breed. I've known some pretty mean Chihuahua's. I even had one that attacked a GSD once. :D:D

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
There are so many stereotypes about every breed. Heck, I've heard that goldens are a health nightmare. I had a guy buy a pup from me because he needed to switch breeds...his two goldens died of cancer before 8 and his friends 2 goldens died from cancer too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It all depends on the pedigree lineage and also how the pup was raised. A lot depends on the socialization period, whereby agression can start to show as a result of behavior triggers i.e. fear, territorial, protective,etc. Any breed can be aggressive just need the right stressors or temperment put together to trigger it.

I've seen aggressive labd and goldens....mostly because they were acting out of fear. Both breeds can be VERY mouthy....especially the Field Goldens just like the Field Labs. The public often get a golden or lab not knowing the lineage and they end up with a high energy, high strung dog with hunting (field) lineage that truly need an experienced handler to train. They often get in over their head and give up the dog for mouthiness or off the wall energy....these are also the ones that get into trouble for being distructive. They just need to be given a job and taught how to channel all that gusto and exhuberance.

So, in short don't let the golden folks sell you a line on their breed because there are good and the bad in both. It all comes down to selecting a good breeder if you want to stack the deck in your favor regarding temperment and health issues. ;)

My vote however is for the LAB...THEY RULE. True there does seem to be more OTCH goldens out there but.... hey ....this year the 2009 National Obedience Champion was a Black LAB :D So our breed is doing alright.

My lab lives with a Minpin and trust me the Minpin is the more bossy...aggressive type in that relationship. Sandy my lab just puts up with her...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Can't generalize about either breed.

That said, I've had experience training both Labs and Goldens. And Labs, IMHO, tend to be more middle-of-the-road predictable and steady in learning things. There may be some dominance issues (I'm looking at YOU, Wesley!!!), but for the most part, they are eager and ready to serve.

Goldens, IMHO!!!!, can run either wicked-smart (like scarily intuitive, like they could be taught to do your income taxes and probably net you a healthy refund) or dumb as a rock. For every Einstein Golden I've seen out there, there has been an Ashton Kutcher.

ALL Goldens/Labs are, IMHO, loveable to a fault. Handsome and purty. Great w/kids. Excellent choice in a dog. I am enamored of both, really, and if it weren't for the hair issues, I'd probably own a Golden AND a Lab.

But my heart is with the Labs.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Can't generalize about either breed.

That said, I've had experience training both Labs and Goldens. And Labs, IMHO, tend to be more middle-of-the-road predictable and steady in learning things. There may be some dominance issues (I'm looking at YOU, Wesley!!!), but for the most part, they are eager and ready to serve.

Goldens, IMHO!!!!, can run either wicked-smart (like scarily intuitive, like they could be taught to do your income taxes and probably net you a healthy refund) or dumb as a rock. For every Einstein Golden I've seen out there, there has been an Ashton Kutcher.

ALL Goldens/Labs are, IMHO, loveable to a fault. Handsome and purty. Great w/kids. Excellent choice in a dog. I am enamored of both, really, and if it weren't for the hair issues, I'd probably own a Golden AND a Lab.

But my heart is with the Labs.
I agree. I know some very smart Goldens and some that (bless um'...) are a few sandwiches short of a picnic. However, I can say exactly the same for Labs.

Generally the two breeds are quite similar, but I find Goldens mature quicker than Labs.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I currently have one of each. My Golden, Brooklyn, is 3 and my lab, Remy, is 17 months. Brooklyn is waaaayyyy more mellow than Remy. Remy's energy level is off the charts. Both are equally smart and attentive. But they both have their stubborn streaks. Brooklyn is not a barker, but Remy is...he's especially excitable around people and other dogs. He has a ferocious bark, but not a mean bone in his body. Brooklyn is more of a cuddler, while Remy will visit...but not stay for very long. Brooklyn is more of a person in a fur coat...while Remy is 100% dog. Very different, but both a joy. :D

·
Registered
21,482 Posts
One of each here as well.
I think which came first might have the different attitude.
Clancey - is the family protector, he was here almost 3 years before the puff ball arrived.
Clancey alerts us, reminds us (hey you get dinner!), and waits by the door for each of us to return.
Harper (the golden) doesn't do the above stuff. His best friend in the world is Clancey. He let's him have the big jobs, and he just follows goofish like behind.

That doesn't mean he's not smart enough to, he just learned that was Clancey's thing

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
One thing in favor of the Goldens: Old Golden Retrievers with their gray faces look soooo cute. I think they even look cuter in their older ages than when they are pups.

The sweet expression of a golden makes you want to hug them! big plush toys!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts