Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard something rather interesting, yet confusing at 8:00 AM mass yesterday about Holy Water during Lent.

We have not had Holy Water at the entrances of our church. Tt was removed a few months ago to prevent the spread of H1N1 (we were also not receiving communion under both species). Well that restriction was removed a few weeks ago, just prior to the start of Lent.

So I figured we'd be getting the Holy Water back as well. Well no such luck. I asked our pastor yesterday & his response was, that it was removed as part of the Lenten observations. This had me very confused. I asked a few other people standing in the back of church & they'd never heard of this practice. Mom asked a few people she knows & same story. I even "googled" it & found that the only time during Lent that the Holy Water should be removed is during Holy Thursday, Good Friday & Holy Saturday.

Deb

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I've seen it removed during Lent or part of lent (Holy Thu, etc.). I've also heard of it being replaced w/sand, symbolizing the desert and the temptations and all that. Which always brought to mind the chance that someone will offhandedly crush out a cigarette in there.

Or that an overzealous housekeeper will stamp it with the imprint of a crucifix or something, like in a hotel lobby.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I don't recall it being removed for all of Lent either. Interesting.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! Between people at church, people my mom asked & everyone here, this seems virtually unheard of.

Perosnally, I think our pastor is apparently making stuff up & doing whatever he wants.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I haven't heard of it either.
People are beginning to question whether shaking hands, holy water and commmunion is spreading bugs, so maybe he is a bit of a germ freak.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't heard of it either.
People are beginning to question whether shaking hands, holy water and commmunion is spreading bugs, so maybe he is a bit of a germ freak.
I know when H1N1 was an issue in the fall, the PA Bishops Confernce issued a directive regarding holy water, shaking hands & the distribution of communion under both forms. That was the Oct/Nov timeframe & up until 2 weeks ago, we had none of those. 2 weeks ago that the restriction was lifted & we went back to having communion under both forms.

I have noticed that people seem to still be hesitant to shake hands, but it is what it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts