Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every Spring I have a Robin and a Phoebe that come make a nest in the same place every year. The Pheobe makes a nest in the rafter of the kitchen porch, the Robin underneath the back porch(it is a first floor porch with a basement walkout underneath)
I think we are going on 6 years here and every year, I can expect those birds to nest in the same spot..

is this the same bird year after year? How long do wild birds live?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Most wild birds such as Turtle Doves, quail and pheasants live less than a year, I'm sure non-game birds don't live much longer, 6 years seems like a long time for a wild bird to live.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Most likely, my grandpa had a wren house that had a nest in it every year for over 20 years. Even with birds, good places are hard to find.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I just googled it. Most small birds die in the first year. Those that live beyond the first year can live a life span of several years. The oldest know American Robin lived 8 1/2 years. The average adult robin (if it survives the first year) lives 5 to 6 years.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Heres a story for you,around here the only hummingbirds we will get that are common are "rubythroats" all the others are considered rare or unusual (some are fairly common)...Anyways a friend of mine had a"buff bellied" that showed up at his parents house,this is a pretty rare bird for this area from S. Texas so his migratory route must have been messed up.Anyways the bird would show up,stay for 5-6 months then migrate,and return in another 5-6 months,he actually would arrive and leave around a certain date but I have forgotten it,but this continued for 6-7 years and the bird was banded and checked each year.Banding is about the only real 100% way to tell if your birds are the same but Id say there is a pretty good chance they are .Purple martins,bluebirds ,woodeckers I know alot of the time return to the same boxes,trees etc..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts