Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad lives in the country and has dial up internet access. He just got a laptop to replace a desktop whose motherboard got fried. I have several extra wireless routers, and I was thinking that I could send him one so that he doesn't have to plug in to a phone line every time he wants to get online. A friend of his told him that he can't use a wireless router with dial up internet. I think that as long as the laptop has whatever it needs to hook up with the router wirelessly, he should be good to go. He'll just need to plug his phone line in to the router. Am I right?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
He'll just need to plug his phone line in to the router. Am I right?
I don't think so, almost none of the routers have a port for a regular phone line. You can do it, but it's just not that simple, at least on what I found online. I don't know enough to explain how to do it with a standard router. I got lost in all the acronyms and techie stuff. Maybe Denny or one of the other gurus can explain how to do it with a standard router. Maybe it's not as complicated as it sounds.

They do make a router specifically for this though, but according to the review it doesn't work with all dial-up providers.
http://reviews.cnet.com/wireless-access-points/always-on-wireless-wiflyer/4505-3265_7-31155242.html

·
Registered
349 Posts
Does your dad have a cell phone? My T-Mobile service allows me to use my Blackberry as a modem for my laptop. All it takes is a USB cord so you can plug your phone into your laptop with and the software which can freely be downloaded from whoever makes your phone. I used to do it with my Nokia also. It makes a handy backup if I can't find a hotspot...

Kevin

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your dad have a cell phone?
He refuses to even get an ATM card, let alone a cell phone. He fights technology - can't understand why people need it. I'm amazed he got a laptop.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll have him call his ISP and see what they suggest.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Sorry, but her has to be connected to a phone line and he has to dial in. A router is not going to work in his situation. Now, he could find out if hos phone company offers a DSL connection. That would solve the problem of have to dial up, free up his phone line, and be faster. And the wireless router would work.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Does your dad have a cell phone? My T-Mobile service allows me to use my Blackberry as a modem for my laptop. All it takes is a USB cord so you can plug your phone into your laptop with and the software which can freely be downloaded from whoever makes your phone. I used to do it with my Nokia also. It makes a handy backup if I can't find a hotspot...

Kevin
This only works for Tmobile. Most other cell companies charge for tethering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts