Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some friends whose chocolate lab has rather severe allergies - it took them awihle to get him diagnosed, and then find a food that he could tolerate well. They have settled on Hills Prescription Duck and Potatoe. He is doing well on it, but it costs 90 dollars for 30 lbs :shocked::shocked::shocked: I know that some companies have a Duck/Pototoe food, and wonder if anyone here has any experience with a different brand and how much it costs. I know these people, and it is killing them to spend this much on dogfood.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
I'm paying just over $2 a pound for Natural Balance Duck and Potato. Something your friends should look into with the Hills- last time I checked, that line was full of fillers and chemical preservatives. Their dog could be reacting to that, too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I use Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal. It costs $50 for a 30 lb. bag. Sarah has food allergies and this has worked for her.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Diamond makes a duck and sweet potato that I think is about $50 for 30 pounds.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hill's does have a Duck/Potato type - I looked it up online. I think it helps allergies because it is limited in what it has in it.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Sheesh! That's a lot of money! I'm no expert, but sounds like they could get similar results (maybe better) with one of the ones mentioned above. I think that's the most expensive food I've heard of.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Magnum was put on that when she had a bout of throwing up (that required a doggy hospital visit).

She was fine after a while and I switched back to her old food with no further problem.

What kind of allergy is the dog having? Ruger gets terrible hotspots from grain based diets. I feed all of my dogs grain free and raw. I think your friend will find this type of diet to do wonders for allergies.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
last time I checked, that line was full of fillers and chemical preservatives. Their dog could be reacting to that, too.

Hill's Science Diet does have a Prescription Diet dog food (d/d) for dermatological conditions which is almost solely duck and potato plus vitamins & minerals. These are its ingredients:

Potato, Potato Starch, Duck, Potato Protein, Pork Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Soybean Oil (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Powdered Cellulose, Fish Oil, Iodized Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Duck By-Product Meal, Choline Chloride, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), DL-Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Tryptophan, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

ETA: http://www.nettally.com/prusty/foodpres.htm
http://www.thedietchannel.com/Understanding-Food-Labels.htm

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Tucker was on Royal Canin Duck and Potato for a few years (not sure if that is what you are talking about or if it is a different $90 bag)...between the food, the vet visits, the tests and his daily Atopica/Ketoconizole I was running a few hundred bucks a month...I switched him to Natural Balance ($50/30 lb bag) and he is doing just fine...he has been on it for over a year. I feel your friend's pain - a dog with severe allergies is VERY expensive!!

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
...Soybean Oil (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), ...
There's the chemical preservative I mentioned. Those chemical preservatives are what caused most of Mick's ear infections and hot spots.

...Natural Flavor...
I'm also not crazy about the "Natural Flavor"- too generic for me, especially since I have a dog who can't have beef. And the pork fat can be a problem, too, unless you know for certain the dog isn't senstive to it. Not a good choice when you're trying to determine what the allergy/senstivity is to.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
All the dogs here get the Natural Balance Duck and Potato. Our vet suggested that we switch to it because of the ear infections that the beagles were continually getting. I believe it was $52 for the 30lb bag last time, but at Pet Food Express if you buy three bags you get a fourth bag free. My friend feeds the same food so we try to coincide our kibble buying to take advantage of the deal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just looked up Natural Balance Potato & Duck food and it lists the following ingredients: Potatoes, Duck, Potato Protein, Canola Oil (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Dicalcium Phosphate, Potato Fiber, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, L-Carnitine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Should I be concerned with the preservatives in the Canola Oil (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols) and the "natural flavor"??

My chocolate lab has SEVERE allergies and gets ear infections as a result. We have him on the Hill's d/d but he is SO picky with food that he doesn't eat it. He hates it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts