Just Labradors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I take Rogie to day camp, I end up having to go round and round re his parvo vaccine. I just talked to the vet's office who says he doesn't need it again because they titered for it and he's fine. They are sending me some piece of paper explaining this. Meanwhile, I just booked him for day camp tomorrow (we're having new counter tops installed -- yippee) and the girl takign reservations said she thought dogs needed parvo every year and that you couldn't titer for it. Any thoughts? I'm confused at this point. Edited to add: The titer was conducted in 2005.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I believe the one you can't titer for is coronavirus, because the results are not always considered reliable.

You should ask Eric/bearsdad. He comes to mind as someone who would know. Or Nick.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
You can titer for the distemper/parvo combo, and the vaccine protocol for distemper/parvo is every 3 years, as reccommended by the AVMA (Am. Veterinary Medical Assoc.) the exception to this is leptospirosis, which should be given yearly. Your vaccine records should then be listed as DA2PP or DHPP (an older vaccine but some vets still use it because they're stuck in the 1960s) and Lepto should be separate.

For them to require a yearly distemper combo is insane, especially if you have a certificate of vaccination from your vet that states the dog isn't due for another year (we certify titers for 3 years, same as a vaccine). I would ask to speak with the owner about the problem if I were you.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yellojakesmom said:
You can titer for the distemper/parvo combo, and the vaccine protocol for distemper/parvo is every 3 years, as reccommended by the AVMA (Am. Veterinary Medical Assoc.) the exception to this is leptospirosis, which should be given yearly. Your vaccine records should then be listed as DA2PP or DHPP (an older vaccine but some vets still use it because they're stuck in the 1960s) and Lepto should be separate.

For them to require a yearly distemper combo is insane, especially if you have a certificate of vaccination from your vet that states the dog isn't due for another year (we certify titers for 3 years, same as a vaccine). I would ask to speak with the owner about the problem if I were you.
The vet's office spoke with them and they still want him vaccinated again for re-titered. Going in on Saturday for another titer. Annoying.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Our club has to have proof of titers every year. :-\

1 - 5 of 5 Posts