Just Labradors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been wondering about this for a while. Maybe some of you who show in conformation can shed some light:

Is it just me, or does it always seem that, out of every group, it's always a little dog that is chosen to go to BIS? The Working Group is the only group that doesn't have very many little dogs, so yay for a Doberman in there. But with other groups, it seems like more times than not the judge ends up going with one of the small dogs.

Is it because small dogs tend to "show" better for some reason?

I've been watching Westminster for years, and it really does seem this way to me.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, maybe this is just me. ? OK, somebody please say they have felt this way too, or I'm going to feel like an idiot for bringing it up!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, thank you for helping me not feel stupid! That list is really interesting to look at! There are quite a lot of terriers in there. More bigger dogs than I remembered too, though.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow...I counted 17 times the Fox Terrier has won Best In Show. Including the first four years running.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And! 45 BIS wins for the Terrier Group.

(Thanks for posting this Nance! Fun!)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more and I'll settle down:

In the past 30 years, there have been eight large breed winners of BIS.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Every year I post this complaint so here I go again. The judges are SUPPOSED to judge each different breed against the breed standard as established by each breed association. I find it hard to believe that in 134 years no Lab has ever met the Lab standard well enough to even win the sporting group.
There, I'm done til next year and I feel better.:biggrin1:

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Every year I post this complaint so here I go again. The judges are SUPPOSED to judge each different breed against the breed standard as established by each breed association. I find it hard to believe that in 134 years no Lab has ever met the Lab standard well enough to even win the sporting group.
LOL It looks like there have been 134 other dogs who have met their breed standard better than the Lab, tho. :wink:

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
And prolly every year I say that it's very very difficult for a Lab to win the Group, any group not just at Westminster. Labs are plodders. They're not flashy. They don't have flowing hair. They're every man's dog. They tend to get over looked because of this.

When Remy won the group once, I was in the BIS ring and the judge says to me as he's going over her, "well, she lives near the refrigerator, huh?" Anyone who knows me, knows my dogs are not fat. I work my dogs in other venues, especially back then, and I had Remy down to where I could see her ribs due to the fact she had a hunt test the following weekend. Some judges have pre-conceived notions on what a Lab should look like and don't know a good one when they see it or put their hands on it. This was a well known, well established judge who has judged BIS at Westminster and color commentary for some other televised dog shows. This was no novice. The Sporting Group judge who had put Remy in BIS asked me what the BIS judge had said to us. They were having a lively discussion as I was leaving.

The judge last night knows Labs. He rewarded the quality of James by giving him a Group 4. Actually, it's quite an accomplishment for a Lab to do a Group 4 at Westminster. You have to remember the insane quality of dogs at that show and for a non-flashy dog like a Lab to place in the group is pretty good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.