Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, two questions:

1) Do you supplement with Vitamin E if you are giving fish oil? I have been giving 400 iu.

2) The kind I just bought says this (it's from GNC):

Each serving supplies 400 IU of Vitamin E as dl-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (synthetic) and d-alpha Tocopherol (natural).
Is the synthetic OK? I've only ever given them the natural kind. I can take it back if not OK.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Connie -- I seem to recall there's a difference in effectiveness between the natural and synthetic but I don't recall it exactly enough (but the natural is better).

I give Puff (and also take myself) daily one Costco Fish Oil/Omega 3 capsule (FO: 1000 mg; Omega 3, 300 mg). On the ingredient list it just says "Natural tocopherols"

·
Registered
717 Posts
Jeb gets one Cosco Fish Oil a day. I'm not sure about giving Vitamin E; never thought about giving it to Jeb. We started hin on Fish oil at the recommendation of his vet; it has anti-inflammatory properties and she thougth it would help with his allergies and ears. And I think it does.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked it up in my notes - you can supplement with a minimum of 23IU vitamin E per pound of food consumed on a dry matter basis. :) Toxic levels would be 455IU per pound of food consumed on a dry matter basis.
OK, so what does this mean in terms of pills? I am confused by the "per pound of food" part I guess. I have been giving Angus 400 IU per day. He has two cups of food per day.

Also, Justine, do you think the synthetic part is OK? I can't find a thing about that anywhere.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can...I just bought this at GNC yesterday but didn't really look closely at the label until I got home. I mostly just check to see that it doesn't have a lot of additives, which this didn't. I didn't notice that part of it was synthetic until later.

Yes, it's Acana Pacifica - thank you! :D

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It says Acana Pacifica has 400 iu of Vit. E. But, I thought I read somewhere that Vit. E tends to break down over time in food...?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts