Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I know that dogs don't need yearly vaccinations, and that they can be potentially harmful (autoimmune, etc.)

So, knowing this, my plan was to just titer test the dogs on a yearly basis (still getting rabies every year because legally you have to here) I figured if it's the same price (which someone told me), why wouldn't you do titer testing, right? makes sense to me.

However, I found out the other day that titer testing the dogs will cost approximately $400 - $500 per dog, per year. Unfortunately, this is not in the budget. :(

So I did a little bit of research, and this is what I came up with:

• Give the dogs rabies, bordatella, and lepto vaccines yearly (for pet therapy/legal purposes - have to.. ::))
  • Give them a booster (parvo, distemper, etc.) maybe every 3 years..? 4 years..?

If anyone could help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it, what do you do with your dogs? What do you suggest? Should I reorder/change the vaccines as they appear above..?? *sigh*

Note: I will DEFINITELY go over this with my vet before I do anything, I'd just like to poll as many resources as I possibly can.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
you can get rabies done every 3 years after the first annual rabies. Distemper/parvo...that would be what I would titer for if I titered.

Bordatella is not required for therapy visits....and usually, is totally unnecessary unless your dog goes to day care or is boarded, or you foster, like I do.

Rider gets rabies every 3, distemper/lepto/parvo every year and bordatella annually. I will probably titer next year when he turns 5.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Baloo, you can do the 3yr rabies here (double check with your municipality, but in London the dog licence people accept the 3yr vaccine).

Currently, Henry gets the rabies vaccine and the DAPP every 3 years, but not in the same year. I'm planning to titre for DAPP when he's due for revaccination. I'm doing a ton of reading into vaccines too at the moment.

Here is an article that might be of interest to you:
http://www.aahanet.org/About_aaha/vaccine_guidelines06.pdf

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I do what Felicia/Henrysmom does with the additon of Lepto ( Lepto is done annually)

·
Registered
3 Posts
http://My vet says to get the rabies and distemper every two years. I have my dog on that schedule and it works

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
AVMA's current vaccine protocols reccommend DA2PP (the most recently developed distemper combo) every three years (as do most veterinary teaching hospitals around the country). There is simply no reason to be giving this vaccine yearly with the research supporting its efficacy over three years.

However, lepto is only "good" for one year - so you'll need to give that yearly if it's a problem in your area.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Check with your local Labrador clubs if your vet charges so much for titers.

Often the clubs run clinics and some will include titer testing at quite a big savings.

I give a one year booster than 4 weeks later a 3 year rabies, then rabies every 3 years. From there I titer test yearly to be sure my dog is covered. If not I would vaccinate (every 3 years).

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gabbys mom said:
Where are you located again?

My vet titers for 70-80 a dog?
Southern Ontario, Canada. I Loove my vet, and would go anywhere (within reason) to be able to see her, but the clinic she works for is a little ridiculous in the price area.
They charge per immunity tested, (or something.. my mind kinda shut off after I heard the amount!) ex. 60 for rabies, 60 for distemper, etc., etc. for each dog.

I'm pretty sure proof of rabies is required yearly, but I will check again, and see if I can find a loophole somewhere.

Dani - she gets bordatella because many of the visits are run out of the SPCA, about 10 - 15 feet away from the shelter dog area, I don't want to take any chances!

I haven't read the links yet (busy puppy proofing, LOL! 2 days, AAAHHHH!!!)

I definitely will, but it looks like every three years (staggered) for everything except lepto and bordatella (done yearly) is fairly safe?? kinda? If I can legally do rabies every three years?

Maybe that's where I'll start for now, and take that to the vet and see what she thinks... hmm....

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
$400-500 is VERY high for titer testing. The shortest-lived immunity is usually to parvovirus, though distemper is close behind, so those would be the titers you'd be checking. You will need to give rabies, since most states won't accept a titer for that, and the titer is quite expensive (usually done only in dogs moving to Hawaii or another rabies-free place).

You may consider having your annual exam done with the veterinarian you know and trust, but perhaps consider having another clinic do the titer testing if they are any less? I would say that most titers shouldn't cost any more than $150, and most should be well under that amount...even here in southern California, where the average lab-sized dog spay costs around $350-450 (sometimes more)!

As for me, this is what I do:
Puppy series (DHPP...I haven't given Lepto, since it hadn't been a big deal here...I've since heard otherwise)- vaccines starting at 7-8 wks, then every 3-4 wks until 16 wks. (Likely only a series of 3 vaccines)
Rabies at 4-6 months.
Booster vaccines a year later (both DHPP and Rabies)...
THEN a 3-year-licensed Rabies can (depending on your location) be given every 3 years thereafter, and DHPP can also then be started every 3 yrs. Or, titer for distemper/parvo and vaccinate accordingly.
I don't personally give anything else, including bordatella.

I show my dogs, so they are in a high-stress, high-exposure environment, and (knock on wood) I haven't seen a case of bordatella/kennel cough at home yet. I even flew with Monty out to MD from CA for a huge lab show last month where a number of dogs came down with kennel cough...he's been fine! :)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
When we lived in So Cal, we paid $40 for titers per dog. In CO, it's a bit more, so i just do the 3 year vaccinating. We vaccinated something yearly, but each one is done on a different year.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I do similar to CALablover... but I did fold and revaccinate my 3 yo ***** prior to breeding her earlier this winter. Why? A 7 yo dog that had been titered (all just fine) contracted parvo at a dog show about that time.... and died. Also, last fall a friend's 9 mo old Lab pup contracted parvo and spent well over a week at WSU in ICU. He lived, thankfully! Further investigation w/ a friend who is a licensed vet tech told me that titers sometimes last as little as weeks... how scary when I hear of folks only giving one vaccine and then calling it quits. I live in a high risk area for Parvo so I also give a Neopar vaccine (high titer parvo only) at 5 wks to my puppies...

I think I'd be inclined to do the puppy series combo (I use Proguard 5, so no lepto or corona) at 3-4 wk intervals thru 16 wks, booster 1 yr later, then maybe a Neopar annually (or Parvo/distemper) if you think you need the added protection. Every area is different. I've gone 3 yrs w/ several of my dogs but I'm rethinking my youngsters after the above 2 incidents now. Revival carries Neopar... my catalog is open as I'm ordering puppy vaccs!!! -Anne

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
CaliforniaLabLover said:
Puppy series (DHPP...I haven't given Lepto, since it hadn't been a big deal here...I've since heard otherwise)- vaccines starting at 7-8 wks, then every 3-4 wks until 16 wks. (Likely only a series of 3 vaccines)
Rabies at 4-6 months.
Booster vaccines a year later (both DHPP and Rabies)...
THEN a 3-year-licensed Rabies can (depending on your location) be given every 3 years thereafter, and DHPP can also then be started every 3 yrs.
This is what my vet has started recommending also. However since Lepto IS a problem around here it is given annually.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Belles mom said:
This is what my vet has started recommending also. However since Lepto IS a problem around here it is given annually.
Yes, lepto sometimes has protection MUCH shorter-lived than other vaccines. Often, in endemic areas, they recommend every 6 months. Thank goodness (knock on wood), I haven't had to worry about that quite yet...since this is a disease that can cause kidney failure in humans as well (and humans can catch it from exposure to infected dogs' urine, etc.), I would definitely vaccinate for it if in a problem area...with the vaccine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts