Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Henery will have to be on a soft diet for the next 3 weeks following his extraction. I was planning on just soaking his kibble (Fromm Surf'n'Turf) until it's soft, and then blending it if need be.

I remember reading somewhere (Purdue Bloat Study?) about not soaking food that contains citric acid for fear of bloat, and I just checked the ingredients of the Surf'n'Turf and the chicken fat is preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

Surf'n'Turf doesn't come in a canned version either.

Any thoughts on what I can feed Henery while he heals? Thanks, in advance!

(I may just put him back on prepackaged raw for his 3 weeks...)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
One meal may be some pureed canned chicken mixed with cooked brown rice with a little extra chicken stock.
Softening his regular kibble with a little warm chicken or beef stock should be fine also.
Tell Henery that Duke and Freckles wish him a speedy recovery.:)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Knowing that Hen has had 'issues' before, I'd soak his food. I wouldn't want to throw off his 'balance' now, especially after an anasthetic, he'll be mixed up enough.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Knowing that Hen has had 'issues' before, I'd soak his food. I wouldn't want to throw off his 'balance' now, especially after an anasthetic, he'll be mixed up enough.
I agree, keeping him on his usual kibble would be ideal. I just worry about the citric acid part and bloat, you know?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
When Angus has had surgeries (most notably the one for blockage) he was on Purina E/N from the vet. For a while there, I kept a few cans on hand for when he'd have tummy issues, as it is supposedly very easy on the digestive system.

I didn't know about the citric acid...yikes! Does this mean not to mix it with water, or just not to soak it? We always put water in the boys' food...

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Connie, I think the bloat risk happens when you soak it. I've always put water on both Hen and Ollie's food right before I give it to them.

Would be interested to know *why* soaking food with citric acid increases the risk of bloat though...

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Honestly I don't know. I give my dogs Vitamin C (Citric Acid) at every meal, and I add water to their food before I feed it...never any bloat.

I think the risks of a 'blow out' of Henery's system would be higher than the risk of bloat...and I'd maybe be more likely to throw a tums in his bowl with his soaked Fromm's than feed something that might not agree with him.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I think I'd check into that citric acid/bloat thing. I googled it and read a few sites. A lot of the sites are promoting raw diet, so naturally they would say negative things about dry food.

Other sites say that citric acid/bloat thing is controversial.

I'd stick to his normal diet. If you're concerned maybe give him several small moist meals throughout the day.

·
Registered
490 Posts
HONEST KITCHEN! It rocks. It's dehydrated raw - you just add water. I feed it three times a week to all my dogs. They have several different varieties - I use Thrive and Keen.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The causes of bloat are many and multifactorial - many time a dog will bloat for no apparent reason. Many people soak food without any problems at all. Everyone I know softens puppy kibble overnight to make their mush for two weeks and then I soak the kibble for a bout 30 minutes prior to feeding right up until they go home.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just went through this with one of my dogs--same tooth, on the lower jaw. Since Tasha has a sensitive gut, I just soaked her regular kibble until it was mushy. I fed her several small meals a day so bloat wasn't a concern.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
When HK had her dental work done, U of MN Vet told me to just moisten her kibble enough to soften it for a few weeks.

Didn't know anything about the citric acid and didn't ask.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts