Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend asked me today if I thought $500. was alot to have a tooth pulled. Her dog (not a lab) broke a lower canine on a bone & now the vet wants to pull it berore problems develop. I honestly don't have a clue what the price should be.

Of course I told her I would ask on the forum. TIA

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Georgie,

I just went through my records for when HK had extractions done. Based on my records, its not high. Pre-op blood work, xray, anesthesia, extraction, meds. Its amazing how fast it adds up.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Derby had his upper 4th premolar pulled 2 years ago, was about $500. Included preop lab, ECG, etc. It was a difficult extraction, had to call in another vet to help, but they did not charge me for that.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Pulling canine teeth is serious business, make sure to have it done by someone who knows what they are doing, and $500 is cheap for that.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I know this isn't answering the queation, but Judy broke a lower canine last summer. You could see a red spot in the middle. I freaked out, called the vet, and the assistant who answered the phone said not to worry, it will heal, but I could bring her in if I wanted to see the vet. I brought her in immediately, and the vet said the same thing. Her dog broke a canine, she didn't do anything and it was OK. They gave me the number of a vet dentist in Cleveland if I relly wanted it pulled or a root canal, but I never took her there. She has been fine since, never seemed to be in pain, and now eats marrow bones.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I know things are expensive but I wanted to check here first. Abby broke the tip of her upper cannine on a Nylabone. Our vet checked it and said just to watch it but if I notic any discoloration to call her & she would give us the number of a vet who specializes in dog dentisity. So far Abby has not had any problems. If she does then I will be going to the dentist vet.

My friend is like all of us here.....she will pay whatever, but she was concerned about her regular vet just pulling it. I will tell her that is a good price. I figured with pre-op blood work, anesthesia, x-rays etc., it would not be cheap. But I think she would prefer to get a second opinion from a vet who does dentistry.

You folks are the best. :)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I just had Emilu's teeth cleaned under anesthesia with one tooth extraction - teeth cleaning - $40, anesthesia $30, tooth extraction $4 - yes that's $4. Of course it was a small tooth in front that had been broken off for years and was just a dark stub, but $500 dollars sounds astronomical to me. My vet doesn't require bloodwork for anesthesia unless the dog is older than 8 years.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I just had a dental done on my Maltese. Full blood work up. 2 teeth pulled.
My vet bill was under $300. That was ALSO including Gryphon's vet visit that day for his ears, meds, etc.
Oh and Kramer's also included antibiotics because his gums were bad.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My vet doesn't require bloodwork for anesthesia unless the dog is older than 8 years.
Someone on this board had a young, apparently healthy 3-year-old die under anesthesia having its teeth cleaned. Anesthesia is tricky business and is not to be taken lightly.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
just had a dentistry done on Brody which included multiple extractions (5 teeth) and lump removal - he was under over an hour and we did blood work work up (including heart worm testing) his bill was $1500

I'd have expected to pay $500 without an extraction - so if they are doing a cleaning too I'd say it's a deal

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I wouldn't leave a tooth with anything exposed, especially a root or nerve. If its bleeding, then there's an opening into the blood stream. Could cause infection.

I'd have it pulled, no questions about it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Our lab broke a lower canine about 2 years ago. She lunged for a ball that our son was batting! It was all very upsetting! The tooth bled a little and had a red spot in the middle for quite a while. Our vet told us that he suggested leaving it alone and just watching to see what happened. He said that some dogs can break a tooth and never have a problem with it, and others do. He told me to check her gum line around once a month or so to look for changes (swelling, receding, etc) If there is any changes, he suggested pulling it at that time. He also told me that a healthy canine is extremely difficult to extract because the roots actually extend into their jaw under the molars. He said that if her tooth rotted it would come out much, much easier since the tooth would begin to loosen on it's own. We keep a pretty close eye on it, and nothing has changed except the dot that was once red in the middle is now black. It doesn't seem to bother her at all, but I know that dogs won't let on to pain. She does, however, have no problem eating rawhides, or whatever else she wants. I don't know about a price, that seems high to me too, but maybe we'll end up paying that amount too someday!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts