Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use HP Photosmart most times, ran into a problem with it recently, I'm working with a scan of a historical picture that we've got up to 9.6 meg. HP won't allow the photo to load to edit that big. I used the Microsoft one at work and as much of the background as I could off it (we're studying clothing on 3 guys, one the Great-grandpa of a friend) got it to 7.1, still won't work, so I croped out each guy out of a copy and got them the 1.5-2.2 meg and I can work them.

Microsoft came as a 30 day trial with our computor, but neither Rita or I liked it. I can't take a yellowed old photo and restore it to B&W like I can with the HP.

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows of a free down-loadable program that will crop, change to B&W and alllow me to work with lighting, exposure and contrast on large pictures. I also have an on-line sorce for some Iwant to study and crop and post in historical forums that are close to 200 meg. (Scanned from 4X6 glass plate negatives) The details I'm finding in some of this stuff is great for study, but it don't do me as much good if I can't crop and post things.

I would be willing to buy a good program but wanted to know if there is a free down-loadable one that will do what I want.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I use Picasa it's a free Google program. Easy to use and easy to install. I don't know of a size limit our work camera takes pictures that are 5-6mg and it has no problem with them. You can crop, adjust lighting, color balance, and it has filters to change to sepia, b&w, and other things.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll try them and see what works the best, I'd never had problems till this guy sent me the 9.6 meg picture.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll give that a try this weekend, thanks. The picture I'm working with now is about this size and this faded, dated 1881:

After going back to B&W and darkening the picture a bit one thing we goot a good look at with the 5.1 meg scan was this really neat cigar cutter hanging above the watch fob on this guy:

I think we may be running into problems with the grain on the print, we'll see, but they are now staring to rescan the ones from the 3"X5'' and the 4"X6" wet plate negatives that still exist. Some of the details coming out are almost beyond belief. I was looking at one on The Library of Congress site the other day at around 190 meg. It was a picture of several river boats at Vicksburg from a building about a block away. I could see the bung in a barrel on the deck of one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts