Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lab is a male, 3 yrs old and he is not neutered (sp?). Recently, like in the past 2 days he has been peeing on random things in the house. He has never done this before so I am a little worried that something is wrong. He is acting normal and everything he's just peeing when Im not home. Now when he has to go and he doesnt get outside (like if im gone more than 8 hrs he has peed but its in a squigly line near the door) this peeing is like he's lifting his leg on things to mark territory or something. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Neuter him. He's marking.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
And - if he were mine he'd be in a crate while you are out until he is neutered and you can get this under control. That is a nasty habit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wonder if he has a urinary issue (due to squiggly pee). If he was marking, I would think it would be a solid puddle. I'm thinking if he is moving around while peeing, he may be having a problem "holding" it. This is something one of my labs dealt with (and he was neutered).

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
No, marking is squiggly. Peing is a huge puddle.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
neutering doesn't always cure "marking". but i agree that he needs to be neutered unless he is a show dog owned by a breeder.
dutch has a "hold it" problem after he gulps down too much water at a time. it's usually when we first get up in the am and if he were a human; i would imagine him crosslegged. he also doesn't "hike" the leg for this, it just dribbles out and i can tell he wants to run for the door.
if your boy is hiking on furniture, etc.; he is marking. if you catch him in the act....you need to make it perfectly clear it is not acceptable. LOUD and clear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I was thinking he needed to be neutered as well. But I want to have a vet visit first to make sure he doesn't have an issue. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I agree with testing to make sure he is healthy (no UTI) and agree with the neutering...

but this is also BEHAVIORAL, so do not be suprised if the neutering does not stop it completely. I have had neutered fosters that marked. train the dog to stop this ASAP (less free reign in the house, supervise - if you are paying attention you usually have abit of a warning it is about to happen).

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I agree with the others - get his urine tested to see if he has a UTI and get him neutered. Also, I recommend that you look into belly bands. A lot of people have luck with them, but of course, it isn't a fix-all, and you will need to try to catch him in the act and fix the behavior.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts