Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having my entire house painted inside and out. The painters started last Thursday and are using acrylic paint on everything but the iron railings in my house. Within 10 minutes of them opening their paint cans Nellie began to foam at the mouth and drool and lick her lips. This continued for about 2 hours. She also had very loose stools for a day and a half. Do you think this was caused by the paint? If so is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh no Danie. :( So that was Thursday and it only lasted 2 hours? Is she OK now?
I would read the caution/warning label on the can immediately.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sounds like the paint fumes are causing her problems. Strangely, Kody had similar symptoms when he was sprayed in the nose by a skunk (particularly the foaming and drewling). I would try to keep the house as ventilated as possible until the paint has dried and the fumes have dissipated. Open windows, turn on fans, etc.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I am under the impression that most water-based paints would be safe.

Funny you would bring this up. A few days ago I was using acrylic paint (paint in tube, artist's paint) to paint something. I didn't need a lot so I was just squeezing a little out of the tube directly onto the brush. But what I didn't realize that my left hand, the one holding the tube, was squeezing ever-so-slightly as I would paint, and I ended up squeezing a big blob onto the floor AND my brand-new Columbia shoes! :mad:

Naturally, just about the time I noticed it Angus happened by, and licked at it before I could stop him. :eek:

He was fine.

Water based paints don't have a lot of fumes that bother humans...but with dogs' noses being as sensitive as they are, maybe that is what it was. ???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts