Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that a lot of you guys use marrow bones with your dogs..

(in case I got the name wrong, I'm talking about these:)

Now, we used to give these to my wheaten terrier, and the vet (not the same vet that I use now... for many reasons!) told us not to, because he said that they were a harder consistency than the dogs teeth, and the dogs could actually break their teeth on them...

Is this true, has anyone ever had problems with them? Are they safe, do you know of anyone or any stories of people who have had problems?

All the pictures I see of your dogs with them, it looks like they're really enjoying them, so i don't want to withhold them if there's no reason to!

on a side note, do they come in different sizes? (little minpin = small mouth!)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Those are not the marrow bones that are discussed here. The marrow bones are raw, not processed or steamed or sanitized or whatever it says on the package (I forget). Those bones will break and they do! I can attest to that. The raw marrow bones are what everyone is excited about. I buy mine frozen at a great store that carries lots of good pet food, including frozen raw food. Some people get them from a butcher. I didn't have any luck at Kroger.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, no no no, sorry, I just googled "marrow bones" and thats what came up.. I just wanted to get something that looked like what I was talking about, in case I was calling it marrow bones and they really had a different name

I'm talking about the "natural" ones from the butcher or whatever, those are the ones my questions were referring to. Sorry for the confusion! :-[

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, do they come stuffed, or do you stuff em? (I don't remember, it's been a long time since we got them for our dog)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
This is what everyone is talking about.

And this is the only kind of bone (besides Nylabone) that my vet recommends.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Apollopuppy said:
Are those the same thing as soup bones? those bones KINDA look like the soup bones I give apollo.
Indeed. Most butchers know them as soup bones.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
We give these to Elias pretty regularly. He LOVES them! Best part..... they are cheap!

Everytime he gets one he takes it upstairs.

Then he tries to "hide" it

and tries to keep it away from the kitties

Then he finally settles down to eat it.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Two months ago I spent $490 to have a broken fourth premolar extracted because it was broken and had died. This was the result of raw marrow bones. So, yes, they can break teeth.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
gabbys mom posted a picture of what a marrow bone should look like. As others have said, the picture you posted is not a raw marrow bone but a sterile cooked bone filled with who-knows-what. I would avoid feeding these like the plague. They have little if any nutritional value as the cooking/bleaching of the bone strips it of all the goodness. The filling is usually a cheap marrow substitute or tripe which stink to high heaven.

I prefer to use a butcher for real bones. :)

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kiddsmom said:
Two months ago I spent $490 to have a broken fourth premolar extracted because it was broken and had died. This was the result of raw marrow bones. So, yes, they can break teeth.
yikes!

I know that they weren't the right kind, Trickster, and I would not use the ones in the pic I posted, I was just attempting to get some sort of a general visual so people would have an idea what I was talking about... :)

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Brigetta and Prudence love them too. I get mine from the butcher. I give them to my dogs frozen just because it takes them longer to eat the marrow (Brigetta has a sensitive stomach) and because in the summer it's a great frozen treat.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
know that they weren't the right kind, Trickster, and I would not use the ones in the pic I posted, I was just attempting to get some sort of a general visual so people would have an idea what I was talking about...
Ah, sorry! I am guilty of misreading posts often. :-[

One of my dogs chewing a big leg shank:

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's all good! ;D

so, do they just come in one size (I'm assuming that's from a cow..?) are there littler ones for littler dogs?

Has anyone else heard about possible teeth issues with them?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Baloo317 said:
It's all good! ;D

so, do they just come in one size (I'm assuming that's from a cow..?) are there littler ones for littler dogs?

Has anyone else heard about possible teeth issues with them?
It all depends on how the butcher's cut them. Sometimes I only find them about 2 inches long, sometimes they are at the size that I like which is about 5-6".
We have had no teeth issues, not to say it's not possible.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
kiddsmom said:
Same thing happened with Prudence. She actually has a tooth right now that is split in half from a marrow bone and had to be removed. She absolutely loves them, so I feel bad that she can't have them now. She's an older dog and I just don't think her teeth are as strong as they used to be. We had to postpone the surgery because of an inner ear infection.
I ask my butcher to cut them in about 5 inch pieces.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OOhhh... you get them cut to size... I see, that makes sense. I don't know about the teeth thing.. that really kinda worries me.. (If you've seen my post about HD in "health and nutrition" I'm totally a worrier!!)

Maybe I'll just stick with Nylabones.. *sigh*

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Mambo LOVES marrow bones. He gets to suck on one everyday. Mambo doesn't chew them He licks and sucks on them. The noise is really funny. I have neveer seen him actually try to bite the bone. I also get them at publix and have them cut inhalf so he can get all the marrow out.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
The only trouble we've had with marrow soup bones is the runs from the marrow. It is very rich, and now goes right through Wesley. The vet has told us now to avoid them, given their effect on his digestive tract. They never used to be a problem, but the vet says it's because his system has changed over time....

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
dweck said:
The only trouble we've had with marrow soup bones is the runs from the marrow. It is very rich, and now goes right through Wesley. The vet has told us now to avoid them, given their effect on his digestive tract. They never used to be a problem, but the vet says it's because his system has changed over time....
The marrow is very rich, I try to find small diameter bones,but still long enough to avoid a choking problem. I scrape some of the marrow out and the girls are Okay in the poop department.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts