Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do yall decide whether or not it is ok for your dog to get in for a swim or not? Nala is 3.5 months old and doesn't love water yet but she is pretty curious about it to say the least and I don't want to yell at her or tug on her leash when she gets near a new body of water cause I don't want her to think that she is not allowed in water period I really want her to like the water. So my question is how do you guys judge the water? I figure if I would swim in it so can she but unless it is really bad I would probably swim in just about anything I like lakes and rivers 8)

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I let Nellie swim in anything that's not stagnant. When we walk on the C&O Canal (in Maryland) I keep her out where the water looks bad and is full of algae otherwise I let her swim.

I forgot to add that when I take her to the beach if there is a red tide it's hazardous to humans so can be just as dangerous to dogs.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I try to know my water. If there are agricultural fields nearby and run off, then I'd prolly keep the dogs out. I don't like leaches so I don't want stagnant water either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok there is a couple places near the house I would like to let her get into and the water looks clear I can see down about 2 feet to the bottom and it looks pretty good so I guess next time I will let her in.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
labby said:
I try to know my water. If there are agricultural fields nearby and run off, then I'd prolly keep the dogs out. I don't like leaches so I don't want stagnant water either.

Same here. I try not to send them in anywhere I'm not sure of. I am more concerned with objects in their "splash" zones when retrieving with them. I use the same areas all the time for swimming and training.

·
Registered
738 Posts
what about things like snapping turtles and possible other creatures? i know you can't ever know for sure what's in a pond or lake, but i would imagine a dangling dog paw would be pretty tempting for a snapping turtle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts