Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can it be that a person turns out nothing like their parents? SU looks a bit like his dad, otherwise I would swear he was found on the doorstep. His mother, sister, dad...completely different from him. Which, believe me, is a GOOD THING.

After spending a bizarre weekend with SU's family I just have to shake my head and wonder how such a wonderful, sane person came from a family of complete wackos. And be thankful that he's so different. I'm also thankful that my nephew somehow came out of that family unscathed, too.

But I still don't completely understand how it's possible.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Funny, isn't it? And when the differences are all within a single family it makes the nature vs. nurture question even more complicated, since obviously there was some other factor at work as well.

G

·
Ah, this is what I spent the last semester studying - is it Nature or Nurture?

The reality of it seems to be that genetics is only a part of it - environment (physical, mental and spiritual) makes a difference.

There, I actually used something that I learned this semester - go figure! :D

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
2LabsInNEPA said:
Ah, this is what I spent the last semester studying - is it Nature or Nurture?

The reality of it seems to be that genetics is only a part of it - environment (physical, mental and spiritual) makes a difference.

There, I actually used something that I learned this semester - go figure! :D
This, indeed, makes for a good discussion. :p I know a family where there are 4 children. The 2nd was adopted. They all had the same amount of attention, affection, education and so on. The adopted child (now about 37 yrs old) was/is very very different. She is outgoing and a bit on the wild side. The extreme natural inhibitions the other three possess are not present in the adopted child. We grew up with these kids and the dynamics are facinating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts