Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks --

Misty is our first puppy, so I know very little about flea infestations (had one with my cat about 13 years ago -- not fun, apartment had to be fumigated...cat had to be de-flea'd...)

Anyway, I have Misty on monthly doses of Frontline Plus; first one was given almost a month ago; she'll get another soon. However, I have NO idea how effective this is, having never used it.

My point is -- I've been dying to take Misty to our local dog park for some good old puppy playtime. However, everytime I'm ready to take her, I just can't bring myself to do it. Despite the Frontline Plus, I just am concerned that she will get infested with fleas (as I would assume that someplace like a dog park must have TONS of fleas.

Can anyone offer opinions here? Am I safe with the Frontline Plus? Is it indeed likely that the park is infested with fleas? Should I stay away? Is there a spray or something that I could put on her as an "extra" protection just before venturing off to the park?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I don't worry about fleas, my dogs are on Revolution 6 months of the year, and I have never seen a flea on my dogs -- even going to dog parks every single day! I wouldn't let this stop you from taking your pup & having fun.

And believe me, I know about fleas ... years ago I had 3 dogs & 3 [inside-outside] cats in a rural home & I used flea collars. Yikes! Fleas everywhere! Switched to proper flea medication & never had a problem again. Didn't even need to flea bomb the house.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I go to an urban dog park daily. I also use frontline plus. never had a flea issue.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I wouldn't worry about fleas. Even if she did get them they are easily treatable. If you use Frontline or a similar product you should be fine. My cats seem to get fleas a lot but my dogs never do.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Call your city parks department. Here, the city treats the park for fleas on a routine basis, that plus my flea preventative - I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I suppose it matters where you live, but when were in CA, we never brought home a flea from the dog park. I don't give my dogs flea preventative either.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. I will call the city parks department and ask them, but I doubt they do anything since this park is funded totally by donations from the community -- it is not taxpayer-funded. So I doubt they do any treatment. Hopefully, my frontline plus applications will be enough; sounds like I might be OK given the advice I've gotten here.

Thanks all!

Steve

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
How old is Misty?

I think you're supposed to wait until they have the full gamut (sp?) of vaccines before you take her to a public doggie place (rabies, yadda yadda..)

Other than that I wouldn't worry too much, you could always give her a quick once over before getting in the car to go home if you're really worried, they should be pretty easy to spot on a yellow dog!

they look like this:
http://www.neath-porttalbot.gov.uk/pestcontrol/pestcontrol_fleas.cfm
grossness! :-X

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Baloo317 --

She's old enough -- 20 weeks today. She's had her four sets of shots -- which the vet told us to have before she could go out around other dogs. But, I've still be hesitant...

Steve

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Then go!!! ;D

It's sooo much fun!! It does the soul good to watch them run and play with such carefree abandon...

soon you'll be addicted like some of us are! ::) ;D ::) ;D

G

·
If you're dog suffers from the flea's, and you're living near a coastal area, let them swim in the sea (salt water), that will destroy the flea's for sure ;)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Felix,

I don't live near the coast, or I'd try that!

Baloo317 --

I do know what you mean. There is an irrigation company that did sprinkler systems for several of the houses in our neighborhood. The guy that usually comes to do maintenance has a puppy that is just as hyper and full of energy as Misty is. When he comes, both our dogs end up romping for a half hour or so, and BOY is it fun to watch!! :) I will plan to take her.

Still haven't heard from anyone as to whether or not there is anything you can "spray" -- a one-time treatment that might last for just a few hours type of thing (like you would spray "deep woods off" or "cutter" or something on yourself -- just to put on her as an extra precaution.

Steve

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I know they have bug spray for dogs, you could try that? (I've seen it at all major pet stores)

I wouldn't use anything made specifically for fleas, because they're not meant to be used in conjunction with other flea stuff, and I'm pretty sure it's possible for dogs to have a reaction to all the chemicals..

I could be wrong though, I don't have the literature or references to back that up, just something I heard somewhere...

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Steve, there is a "flea dip" but it is very harsh and not recommended anymore.

I would quit worrying and only deal with fleas if you find them. ;)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Know that a vast majority of people who go to the trouble to take their dog to a dog park are as concerned and as you are and take exceptionally good care of their dogs. Of course there are always idiots among us but they are luckily few and far between, at least at our park.
I think Duke and Freckles have a better chance of picking up a flea from the squirrels that run through the yard than at the park.
I do keep a few Capstar pills on hand for the rare occasion when I do spot a flea.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Steve you will be fine. The only thing I would suggest is because of your location I would keep her on the Frontline year round. I would also put the med on the same day every month, I do it the first day of the month, and keep it documented by putting the stickers they give you on a calendar. If you do this an your dog gets infected from a flea bite Frontline will pay for the dogs treatment.
Olie

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good info, and good points, everyone.

Oonas dad -- I WILL keep her on frontline all year round, and I have settled into a "first of the month" routine - both for interceptor and for frontline.

Dukesdad -- what is a capstar pill?

gabbys mom -- time to quit worrying and start her playing!! You are right!

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts