Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure that we are going to be getting solid wood floors for the livinging room, dining area and front hallway sooner than later. While we really like wood floors, the main reason we are going to spring for so much money, is that is is impossible to keep our carpets clean with 2 indoor/outdoor dogs and 2 inside cats. For those of you with solid, or engineered wood floors - how do you keep them clean? What do you use to sweep, "mop", clean up spills, etc.

For those of you with "woodtype floors" - did you do any special decorating aournd them? Do you have throw rugs, or rugs under furniture, at doorways, etc? I know that we will need some type of rug a few places for Skippy to lay on - he is getting older, and I know that he needs something other than solid wood all the time. Pictures welcome!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
We just put in hardwood last year. It is so much easier to clean and sweep. However, I have to do it more often because you can see the hair, but it's still better than vacuuming. I bought a few different kinds of mops at first before I figured out what worked best. I had one of those microfiber dry mop, but it wore out quickly. I ended up with a little tank vac that i do first and then orange glo or some hardwood floor cleaner works wonderful. I only have to do that every couple of weeks.

I do have an area rug in the middle of the floor and a runner down the hall and a rug at the front door that all match. I put little felt sticky things on the bottom of my furniture legs so they didn't scratch. I have to tell you the dogs nails do scratch it in high traffic areas. But the reason I chose hardwood over laminate is because I can at least have the hardwood refinished after the dogs ruin it and you can't do that with laminate. It also increases the value of your house a lot more having hardwood.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
We have wood floors in the living room, dining room, foyer, and master bedroom. IMO they are much hardier and nicer looking than laminate floors. Our wood floors after a year look 500x better than our laminates did at the old house. We have small rugs in front of the doors and a few dog beds, but no large rugs. The couches move around a little bit but not much (easy to clean under, anyway). The dogs sit mostly on the couch, anyway. I dry mop using Method floor cleaner and a dust mop and vacuum using the dyson. Spills just a towel or paper towels. Since they are glued at the seams, spills don't seep into the wood (great when the occasional pee accident occurs, too). Our floors are very dark and show muddy footprints easily, but after a few days of non-mopping they will vacuum up and disappear without mopping.

My mom has an overkill of rugs on her wood floors, but she keeps her dogs outside. IMO too many rugs start giving you the problem of carpet--trapping dust/allergens/pet dander, hard to clean (or still require the carpet cleaner), etc. Denny and I prefer a barer look. The rugs at the doors are essential, though--they protect the floors from scratching (dogs running in and out at 100 miles an hour) and provide a small moisture barrier. I use non-skid rugs from costco.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
We have hardwoods on our main living floor and engineered wood in our downstairs guest room. For cleaning, a regular floor attachment on the vacuum works great, as does a dry dustmop. Every month or so, I clean them with Murphy's Oil Soap, otherwise they're quite low-maintenance. For decorating, I have large area rugs (but I'm also an oriental rug freak).

I know exactly what you mean about keeping carpets clean with animals. We've got wall-to-wall on the third floor and I wish we had wood floors there, too. We talked about putting them in, but then we're also talking about moving to a different house sooner than originally planned, so...

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
My hardwood floors are cleaned with Windex as per the manufacturer we merely mist and wipe with old bath towels. The MFG does not recommend Oil soaps on urethane finised floors. Whether this is true for all wood floors I don't know.

We use the vacuum set at hardfloor for the daily cleaning. Our floors are ~5 years old and look great. Something else to consider. The UV light coming through windows will darken the exposed floors and areas with rugs will be noticed if moved. There is a film (like car tinting film) that can be installed on the windows to reduce this.

We use a variety of area rugs and the padding is a felt based padding that provides enough cushion and is very comfortable under foot. Don't skimp on the quality of padding under large area rugs and check with the flooring manufacturer on what to use. Some padddings can leave residue especially the foam or rubber types.

If you go with area rugs you can roll them up and send them out for cleaning. That is a big plus as compared to Wall to wall.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
A good dust mop and vacuum is all you really need. For cleaning, warm water with a bit of vinegar (or whatever your manufacturer recommends, as it will depend on the woods finish) is all that I use.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
A good dust mop and vacuum is all you really need. For cleaning, warm water with a bit of vinegar (or whatever your manufacturer recommends, as it will depend on the woods finish) is all that I use.
We use vinegar and water on occasion .........I forgot about that.

Oh never soak wood floors just mist and clean.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
i use the swifter and a small stick vac for getting up dog hair and messes the birds make on a daily basis.
Mine are beat to hell. The dog toenails from where they run in and out the door through the kitchen to the dining room to the stairs are shot.
I would suggest throw rugs in your heavily traffic areas; but be prepared that if you get a lot of sun in those areas, if will fade around the rugs.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
We have wood floors downstairs including kitchen. Pretty easy to keep clean, damp mop. Vacuum a lot of dog hair.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I have laminate and vinyl flooring. This is all I do,too. I love my microfiber mop.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
We had laminate for about 6 years and just got hardwood floors about 1 month ago. I swiffer vac daily and swiffer mop one time per week. I got dark wood floors which is a problem with a yellow lab, cause you can see every single hair. LOL. I have a runner down the hall and a small area rug in the livingroom and at the entrance way.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I have rimu floors and Kass and now Ernies claws have made a mess of them. I need to keep rugs and hall runner so he doesn't slip. I wish I had another coat put on them as it might have protected them from dog claws better. Marks where Sir Humpalot loves the couch so I have had to put rugs. I have rugs under the coffee table as the floor marks when you move the coffee table and peoples shoes tend to scratch as well. No high heels in our house.
They show all the marks, but are easy to clean. Here we use a special stuff or meths.
As Sandy said. They do fade under rugs and furniture. They fade over time as well, but you don't really notice it.

We have tongue and grove and it is recommended for warmth to have under floor insulation. Ernie destroyed a bean bag and some tiny bits got into the grooves of the floor. It is the dog that makes the most mess of the floor. lol.
Will get some pics tomorrow when it is daylight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts