Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, gordy made it to seven...he is officially the oldest dog to survive with my hubby and me. :p

Anyway, now that he in the senior catagory what should we do about his vaccination schedule? We have always gone with what the vet suggest at the yearly exam, dhpp and the bordetella twice a year, rabies every other year due to local law. Should we now go to a three year schedule and how do I request that? Also what about the rabies vaccine? And do I still titer every year?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I don't do vaccines on dogs over 8. I do 3 year schedules on all shots until then.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Our vet uses a 3-yr vaccination schedule. Henry (6.5) got his 3 year rabies vax in 2009, and it will likely be his last. He was titered in 2008 for distemper and parvo, and is still high, so no vax for him.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I stopped vaccines on my last Lab after a visit to U of P( he was 10 at the time). They said due to his age and allergies he should not get vaccinated again. That was over 8 years ago...at that point Penn was recommending a three year vaccine schedule.

I would definately switch to a 3 year protocol....it is possible that that may even be overboard....titering would be better.

Guthrie only ever got his 3 puppy shots. I opted not to give his one year booster but rather titer him given a severe hive reaction he had. His titers were all good at one year and fine again at age two. Can't wait to see how they are at three.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi received her 3 yr. vaccines and will be titered from now on- except for rabies which she has to get by law.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Bud, who is 9, will be titered as well as the other two. I believe when I checked into the cost of tetering it was more expensive that just doing some of the shots!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
well, I am new to all this so it will be a huge leap for me. What I worry about is when I am out and about with my dogs, such as pet therapy....does anyone ever question if your dogs are up-to-date? I also do year round training at a training club that ask for proof of vaccines. How do I get around places like that and boarding facilities that ask for paperwork? Also my vet is so old school I wonder what he will think when I request a change, do I just find a more holistic vet?

edited to add: I should mention I live in a rural area and my vet is a country vet that does livestock more than family pets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Vaccines are very effective against serious diseases like distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus and many others, but I've read that the practice of annual vaccination of senior dogs is controversial because the immune system of older dogs is not as effective as younger dogs. Anyway, discuss with your vet this problem.
I've read here an interesting post about vaccines, but it is about dogs in general What shots do puppies need? Puppy vaccination schedule | Affordable Teacup Puppies for sale in Ohio

1 - 14 of 14 Posts