Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, yucky subject. But I'm wondering if I need to take Toby in to the vet to get his expressed. What are the typical symptoms indicating that they need to be done?

He's not licking or butt-scooting, his potty habits and poops are normal, and he doesn't give any indication that he's uncomfortable or anything. But he's smellier than usual, and it's not dog-fart or poopy-type stinky, not bad breath, nor is it that funky/musty smell he sometimes gets in his fur after romping in the muddy puddles at the park. And it's definitely coming from his rear (stinky end, not pointy end) but has noting to do with flatulence. I'm not really sure how to describe the smell. It's not pleasant. After I drove the dogs to daycare this morning, my car was absolutely toxic.

Advise?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Could be a problem just beginning and not aggravating enough yet for him to scoot. It does sound like an anal gland issue. Though I've been told you can express those glans yourself I would gladly pay my Vet to do that job. It could become infected so I would see to it soon. What's worse than a clogged anal gland, an infected clogged anal gland.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I'd say it's anal glands. Before I got my dogs' food regulated to the good stuff, I had to have them both expressed. They never scooted on the floor. It smelled really bad though and so did their breath get bad. I'd go have them checked. I tried to do my dogs', but wasn't very successful. They can do it in a minute or two.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I would get them checked, just in case. If it becomes a problem, it might be good for you to learn how to do it yourself.. just to save you some $$!

Have you changed Toby's kibble or snacks lately? Sometimes an allergy or change in food will affect the anal glands.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I took him to the vet this morning, and sure enough his glands were "very full" but not infected. 5 minutes later, he came out much perkier and I think feeling better. He certainly smells better! So now I know.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really don't know what caused it. He'll be 4 in November and this is the first time this has been an issue. We moved home exactly a year ago (yay!). Not much has been different recently, no change in diet or anything. But at least now I know what the smell is and how easily fixed it is - and I'm more than happy to pay someone else to do it!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Morgan had same problem for about 6 months anal gland expressions about every 3 weeks. I give him 2 prunes (don't laugh] 1X a wwk and we have never had a problem again and it's been over 2 years. Vet disappointed from not seeing us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts