Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haiti has raised the death toll associated with the earthquake to 230,000.

That's 2.3% of the ENTIRE population of the country. In proportional terms, this would be the same as if every man, woman, and child in the whole state of Louisiana, and a good chunk of Mississippi, were killed in Katrina.

In real terms, it's the equivalent of 76 9/11s.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There's a shitload of research on empathy, and a consistent finding is that people are more likely to help when one person is in trouble than when thousands/millions are affected. That's why those horrible commercials always focus on one starving child. I worry that the sheer enormity of the situation in Haiti will cause people to look away. On the other hand, people have been very generous so far. I just hope that the focus stays on throughout the recovery.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Most people don't have the staying power of years of help - what ever happened to the tsunamis vicitms? Who knows.......

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Most people don't have the staying power of years of help - what ever happened to the tsunamis vicitms? Who knows.......
I was wondering the same thing about the tsunami victims. It was over 5 years ago.

Wrapping the mind around hundreds-of-thousands of deaths is like wrapping one's mind around geologic time. When we can't even really deal with the concept of time-frames beyond our own lifetimes or a couple of generations, hundreds or thousands of years, millions/hundreds-of-millions/billions become meaningless to most people (and being one, I'm not sure I can say that even geologists really have any sort of grip on it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts