Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The south and east have been hit with a lot of snow, while here in Michigan we got nada. Zip. Bupkis. It's been a very strange winter.

A little over two weeks ago, my friend in Arizona got snowed in. She's in the mountains above Flagstaff, lives alone with her three dogs and a cat, and she got 8' - yes, that's EIGHT FEET - of snow. :shocked: She lost power and was snowed in for 5 days, could not even open her doors to get out of the house.

Thank God, last summer she switched over to propane heat, so at least she was warm. Her dogs used the attached garage to potty in, and she used a Coleman stove (in brief spurts) to cook on. By the time someone was able to plow/dig her out, she was down to a handful of crackers and a lot of canned goods that she couldn't use because her can opener is electric. :doh:

Peg has now stored over a week's worth of MREs (meals ready to eat, like the military use, which include pouches of water), as well as a hand-crank can opener, cans of tuna, chicken, and other items that she can keep stored in the event of another storm like that one. They are predicting the possibility of 6' over next weekend (Valentine's Day).

Kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
The south and east have been hit with a lot of snow, while here in Michigan we got nada. Zip. Bupkis. It's been a very strange winter.

A little over two weeks ago, my friend in Arizona got snowed in. She's in the mountains above Flagstaff, lives alone with her three dogs and a cat, and she got 8' - yes, that's EIGHT FEET - of snow. :shocked: She lost power and was snowed in for 5 days, could not even open her doors to get out of the house.

Thank God, last summer she switched over to propane heat, so at least she was warm. Her dogs used the attached garage to potty in, and she used a Coleman stove (in brief spurts) to cook on. By the time someone was able to plow/dig her out, she was down to a handful of crackers and a lot of canned goods that she couldn't use because her can opener is electric. :doh:

Peg has now stored over a week's worth of MREs (meals ready to eat, like the military use, which include pouches of water), as well as a hand-crank can opener, cans of tuna, chicken, and other items that she can keep stored in the event of another storm like that one. They are predicting the possibility of 6' over next weekend (Valentine's Day).

Kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it?
It's been weird winter for us, too. (South Western Ontario). By this time last year we'd had at least one snow day...........This year. Nada, zip, zero, rien. Well none of any significance anyways........

Wow eight feet is a crazy amount of snow...................

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
No snow here in eastern SC, but boy has it been cold and wet. If our rain had been snow, it would have been over 12 feet.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
That sounds a lot like Buffalo, NY. But I don't think they get 8' out of one storm. Wow!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
No snow in Michigan is strange.

That much snow in the mountains north of Flag...not really. That much snow in 3 storms over a week, yes. You have to remember AZ is in the middle of a long drought. When I was in college in Flagstaff the mountains frequently had 8 to 12 feet of snow on them. Flagstaff is between 7000 and 8000 feet in elevation so snow is common. The mountains to the north of town are 10,000 to 12,000 with the top of Mount Humprhey's being over 13,000 feet.

Because of the long drought most people have never lived through a "normal" snowfall year or have forgotten how bad it can be. I remember sinking in snow up to my arm pits one "wet" winter when walking on a path between the dorm and the parking lot. It had snowed and the path was covered over and I stepped off a little to one side of the path and sank. Thank goodness 3 guys were walking with behind me and pulled me out.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
In this country of ours, they close schools, roads come to a standstill, they don't grit, and all for a grand total of EIGHT centimetres!!!!

Eight inches here would cause chaos but EIGHT FEET is totally incomprehensible to me. Thank-goodness your friend was dug out when she was and is better prepared for the forthcoming snow.

It most certainly does put our pathetic bit into perspective.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Very weird. My friend in BC says they are shipping snow in for the Olympics and he's ticked that they'll prolly tax the citizens to pay for it. Too bad they can't ship some of the snow in the DC area to Whistler.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What amazes me even more, and shows what an incredible person Peg is, is that she is bi-polar and handled five days with no human contact with admirable composure. Her cell phone died early the second day, so she didn't even have phone contact with anyone. She said it was a lonely time at worst, an introspective period at best. She read a lot, played with the dogs, and thought.

What would you do if you were cut off from all human contact, could not get out your doors, and had no power for several days?

I have a lot of candles. I buy them at the dollar store in the glass jars, so I feel relatively safe leaving them burning in the bathroom, kitchen, etc. I have battery-operated reading lights, a couple that clip to books and one that straps to my head like a miner's light. Lots of batteries, a portable DVD player that would last through two movies. The water heater is gas, so I would at least have hot water for showers. I think I'd move the gas grill into the garage, so I could cook on it. We have a kerosene heater that lives in the storage shed most of the time, but if high winds or heavy snow/ice is forecasted, it moves into the garage, along with the legal container of kerosene, so heat would not be an issue.

If I were alone with the dogs, I think I would be fine. I know Bill and I together would manage without a problem. The boys would have to learn to poop and pee in the garage, though. :yuck:

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I could manage. Before we moved to AZ and had to deal with storms dad and my BR's would move a huge amount of wood to the garage or kitchen if the garage was free standing. We always had a porch were pups could business. There was always plenty of food in the house that could be heated in the fire place. We always had an electric space heater and a small generator with plenty of gas. Plus dad always had a few buckets with covers for potties on that cold porch. when you loose power you can use the basement for fridge as it is cold. We also had sleeping bags. The one time we had to do this dad nailed heavy blankets over door opening to the living room to keep the heat in as there were arches in that house but no doors. We all just slept in the one room, roasted lots of marshmallows and mom had made pots of homemade soup and homemade bread knowing we would be loosing power most likely.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We do have a small generator now, that could be used to keep some things operating. I'd forgotten about that. Bill just found it at Aldi's a couple of weeks ago. But, I don't know if you can safely run a gas engine in an enclosed pace with no ventilation. I know people die from using charcoal grills for heat without adequate ventilation. Our one-car garage is attached to the house, and if the snow was so deep that the regular doors could not be opened, we'd have to open the garage door to vent.

Hmm, our garage has a back door that opens inward, and a storm door that opens outward. If we knew there was that much snow coming, we could prop the storm door open and keep the snow shovels inside, so we could make a tunnel for the boys to go out and potty!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I have 2 generators. I wouldn't care about not having human companionship as much as not having heat in the winter or electricity. I have a well so if I don't have power, I don't have water.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
You can also vent a generator through you dryer vent. When we were in Maine and snowed in the generator sat on the porch with just the cord running into the house through the mail slot.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
EIGHT feet? Holy smokes! I can't even imagine..

Here, in Maine, we have about 3 inches of packed icy snow on the ground. That's it. Strange for us, too.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I only dimly understand the causes for the crazy weathers and the series of rotten 90 day predictions NOAA made for the US last summer and fall. IIRC, NOAA predicted a warmer than usual winter for the central midwest and that's sure been wrong for my area of Kansas.

The problem seems to be that there's been a much stonger than usual, an unusually strong, El Niño (a cyclical warming of central Pacific Ocean water). This El Niño -- like all El Niños -- has increased the amount of moisture carried in the atmosphere as well as the strength and directions of various jet stream winds which determine the W→E movement of weather systems in the Northern hemisphere and how far N or S various fronts move.

But because of this El Niño's strength and far greater than typical amount of moisture put in the atmosphere, NOAA's usual, formerly reliable predictive models aren't giving accurate readings anymore.

I'm accustomed to hearing of colder temps and greater quantities of snow in regions to my north and the opposite to my south.

So northern areas of the US Midwest and southern Canada being without much snow while regions to the south of me from New Mexico through Oklahoma on to the East coast that have been getting more snow than we have in my region of Kanas -- often record setting depths of snow -- seems topsy-turvy, hard to understand.

IIUC (understand correctly) there are similar oceanic "hot" (or cold) spots in various oceans that are influencing the departure from normal, "traditional" temperatures and precipitation in Europe, Australia and certainly many other regions .

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I'm pretty sure we would be fine, the pantry is pretty well stocked most of the time. We have a propane stove in the camping gear. the large propane BBQ, that also has a side burner and we always have plenty of propane. We have a small generator, that we purchased last year, after receiving record snow and losing power. Oh and I don't even own an electric can opener:redface:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts