Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to embark (read: be shanghied) for another home improvement project. You'll remember that the last one ended with me in surgery to the tune of $12,000 (just for the surgeon, thank you) to repair my knee.

Well.... We need a new kitchen floor. The vinyl lineoleum that's been in place for the past 15 years (the life of the house) is finally giving up the ghost. There's a dinner-plate sized 'hole' in it, in front of our dishwasher, that has gotten very unsightly.

Over the wknd, Eileen and I went to a flooring warehouse, where we'd bought carpeting before. We were interested in hardwood, but the salesman said we'd get better performance (given 3 kidlings and a dogling) out of laminate. It's very pretty. Going to be installed as soon as we can get measured.

BUTTTTTTT ---- Can't have new flooring and old paintjob, can we? So yesterday, we were out buying paint. And can't have new paint/floor and have old curtains, can we. So off to shop for curtains. This morning at breakfast, I saw her eyeing the light fixture on the kitchen ceiling and I warned: "DON'T YOU DARE..."

So painting means ladders and ladders and I haven't been getting along very well in 2007.

Wish me luck.

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
New paint job will require at LEAST a case of beer. If you pick/hang curtains you will forever lose your man card.

Now get the little lady moving to the liquor store for that beer :p

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Dan, tell your story of woe to the wife and eldest DD and have them do it. :)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Dan, Dan, Dan, I'm sure with your last experience, you'll be a pro of SAFELY handling a job. ;D

As far as remodeling projects, I find in my imagination, a long procession of dominoes! One thing definitely leads to another, but the ending will bring a smile to your face (and with this case, a pinch in the pocketbook) ;)

Go for it!!!

Oh, and we need pics! :)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hunter said:
If you pick/hang curtains you will forever lose your man card.
She was driving me INSANE yesterday. The curtains. She wanted something with more brown/green in it than what we have, which is pink and green.

I zipped onto the JCPenny site and found these:

Adorable, no?

Well they wouldn't work yadda-yadda.... So off she goes to Bed Bath Beyond etc. etc. Calls me from her cell about measurements etc. etc. The bulk of the day bleeds by.

She comes home w/a set from Target. They're dark and very 'fallish,' and I fear the kitchen will look like an English Professor's study. But whatever. I say nothing, being the good and trained husband I am.

Finally, at 10PM, she decides she doesn't like the ones from Target either.

So she's online............. buying the set I found at 9AM!!

I said, "Why didn't you just go for these in the first place if you liked them?"

Her answer: "I wasn't sure what else was out there! Suppose I came on something I liked MORE!"

Thank God for me that her husband-selection criteria isn't as stringent as her curtain-shopping criteria.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
The same thing happened to us in the old house. We started with a new laminate floor in the kitchen and living room. We progressed to a new paint color (SU's idea). Then of course we "needed" a new entertainment center (also SU's idea). So we then needed new curtains and rugs as well. Good luck it just kinda snowballs. My husband likes to do this stuff. He loves to paint and pick out colors. I could have a whole new kitchen if I would authorize the expenditure.

·
0 Posts
Yup, don't forget the beer. I think all Home Depots and Lowe's should have a beer center built right into them. Yeah, power tools and alcohol. Male heaven!!

Break a leg!!! Uuuhhh, well no, don't do that. :-\

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Good luck Dan, our kitchen project kept growing to include dining room and living room remodels. This is what happens when DH decides to remove a wall and "open up" the kitchen. Dont get me wrong I love it,but it did turn into the project that would never end. Funny thing is 2 yrs. later we are selling the house. The only things I will miss about my house is my Kitchen ;) and my veiw! Oh yeah had to add the DH isnt allowed on a ladder with anything with sharp edges, this will earn him an ER visit everytime ;D

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Princess Zoe said:
Her answer: "I wasn't sure what else was out there! Suppose I came on something I liked MORE!"
This is a problem?? :p
She is going to come home with the stripper in the "Grandma's retirement party" thread.

Ya think she will like that more :p

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
dweck said:
Hunter said:
If you pick/hang curtains you will forever lose your man card.
She was driving me INSANE yesterday. The curtains. She wanted something with more brown/green in it than what we have, which is pink and green.

I zipped onto the JCPenny site and found these:

Adorable, no?

Well they wouldn't work yadda-yadda.... So off she goes to Bed Bath Beyond etc. etc. Calls me from her cell about measurements etc. etc. The bulk of the day bleeds by.

She comes home w/a set from Target. They're dark and very 'fallish,' and I fear the kitchen will look like an English Professor's study. But whatever. I say nothing, being the good and trained husband I am.

Finally, at 10PM, she decides she doesn't like the ones from Target either.

So she's online............. buying the set I found at 9AM!!

I said, "Why didn't you just go for these in the first place if you liked them?"

Thank God for me that her husband-selection criteria isn't as stringent as her curtain-shopping criteria.
Humm...Did she check http://www.countrycurtains.com/ ?

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
LOL! Window treatments! Cost me a new living room once! At least you went the floor,paint, curtain route. I went the drapery,furniture,paint and floor route. I suppose the order doesn't matter.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
labs4life said:
LOL! Window treatments! Cost me a new living room once! At least you went the floor,paint, curtain route. I went the drapery,furniture,paint and floor route. I suppose the order doesn't matter.
We at least agreed floor first to make painting easier. No dropcloths required!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Just a warning Dan - she may not have said anything on the light this mornign but i can almost guarantee that you WILL have a new light fixture by the time it is all done........This coming froma woman who does the ame thing to her hubby - only difference I tend to be the one laying floors and painitn walls as well as sewing curtains ( I just can't find what I want at the store!)

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
ROFLMAO, this is so funny. Yep, been there, done that. Why are you putting down the floor before you paint? I'd paint first. Then it doesn't matter how much paint you get on the old floor.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
It's kind a toss-up. You either paint first and they scrape up the wall removing the old floor, or you paint after and accidentally spill it all over the place. Whichever screw-up you prefer is what you'll get. :D

I hate painting. I do not have a steady hand.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dweck said:
labs4life said:
We at least agreed floor first to make painting easier. No dropcloths required!
I have this backward -- SEE HOW ILL-EQUIPPED I AM FOR HOME IMPROVEMENTS?!?! We are PAINTING first. Then having the floor installed. There's no demo on the old floor; the laminate goes right on top of the old linoleum.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
I painted first, then new floor, well then the curtains looked like crap so ,got new curtains and then the appliances needed replacing (had to do them all to match) then new countertops.....well guess what? The light fixtures looked awful after all that so I had to replace all three of them ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts