Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fiddler on the Roof now looks like this...

We splutter. We shudder. We grind gears. We lose altitude. We backtrack. We spin out of control. The instruments often go dead. Fog rolls in. Heavy clouds. We've even crashed.

But occasionally. JUST OCCASIONALLY mind you, we soar.......

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Wait! Was lastnight opening night? :)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. We open Fri, July 17. FOUR REHEARSALS (Thank God) from now......

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey wait! You changed pictures, didn't you?
Sounds like things are right on schedule.
Did the first one show? It didn't on my version. Thought I'd been Red-X'ed....

It's so funny how even the slightest additions change EVERYTHING!! More and more props are being introduced, and they take some acclimation. Last night's "Sabbath Prayer," for example, we had candles at each table for the first time, gently illuminating the scene. It was gorgeous. Fully costumed, we gathered in familial groups and sang plaintively:

"May the Lord protect and defend you. May He always shield you from shame..."

And I'm watching the flickering lights and drinking it all in, and then the thought zips across my brain: HEY STOOPID!!! PAY ATTENTION!!! YOU'RE SINGING HERE!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
And I'm watching the flickering lights and drinking it all in, and then the thought zips across my brain: HEY STOOPID!!! PAY ATTENTION!!! YOU'RE SINGING HERE!!!!!!!!!
Oh I know this feeling, Dan!!!

La Mancha... we're the prisoners draped all over the raked stage of a dungeon. Don Q is singing "Dulcinea"... we are weeping... we are not supposed to be weeping... we are supposed to be mentally preparing for next scene... we are not preparing... we CAN'T do anything, the scene is so beautifully done by our Don Q

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Good luck! And whatever you do, don't listen to the This American Life episode about community theater, entitled "Fiasco."

Act One. Opening Night.
Writer and TAL contributing editor Jack Hitt tells the story of a small town production of Peter Pan, in which the flying apparatus smacks the actors into the furniture, and Captain Hook's hook flies off his arm and hits an old woman in the stomach. By the end of the evening, firemen have arrived and all the normal boundaries between audience and actors have completely dissolved. (23 minutes)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ohhhhhhhh always like to hear a Fiddler update. Eek I am so excited for you - how is dd doing with her part ?
At some points, better than her pop.........

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Woohoo Dan!!!

I am sure you are excited & nervous, but you will do well.

Jeanne... just 16 days until we finally get to see Dan in Fiddler. Hopefully, we'll get the chance to meet him as well. *hint, hint*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts