Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell how much available memory is left on my PC?

I'm trying to install a new program, and it keeps failing, telling me that it needs Xmgbs (whatever) to install. I've killed a number of unused programs but it still says there's not enough memory....

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Click on the start menu. Open "Computer" Right click on "C drive". Click on "properties". It will tell you how much free & used space you have.

ETA: If you have Vista, hold the mouse over the "C drive" it will also show how much free space you have.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
t.y.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Click on the start menu. Open "Computer" Right click on "C drive". Click on "properties". It will tell you how much free & used space you have.

ETA: If you have Vista, hold the mouse over the "C drive" it will also show how much free space you have.
My XP does the same thing.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts

But that just shows how must disk space you have, not how much memory is available.

Checking for available memory is a little trickier because it is dynamic and depends on what applications and processes are running at the time.
Right-click on an empty area of the task-bar and select "Task Manager".
The Performance tab will show you your Total and Available memory (should be listed under Physical Memory).

·
Registered
606 Posts
^ What rottnlab dad said above. For every application, you will usually need both run-time memory (RAM) and disk storage memory (e.g. your C drive). Depending on what you are low on, you can increase the appropriate memory. To increase your RAM, you'll likely have to open up you box and add the memory there. To increase your disk storage, you can buy external memory that can be attached to your computer through an USB connection.

Oh yeah, your application s/w should tell you what is the minimum RAM requirement. If your computer doesn't have enough RAM, then no matter what you delete, it will not help -- you will have to increase your RAM.

·
Registered
606 Posts
^ Depending on your laptop, you may still be able to upgrade. I have a IBM Thinkpad. It allows you to add RAM memory on the bottom (it is covered up, though). External disk storage can be added easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts