Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its hard to tell by pictures, but does this dog look like a purebred lab?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my initial impression, also something about the shape of his back legs seems unlabbish. I know you can have black and tan labs (rarely) but there were 2 or 3 black and tan dogs in his litter.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Looks purebred to me too, but it could be mixed with something that allowed the dog to really look like a lab and not be purebred. You can get black and tan in a lab, I've never seen it and I think it is not a common fault, but possible.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The tail seems to long to be a lab. I dunno maybe a weird angle but w/ ears and tail I would say no.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
It's so hard to say.. tuck and koda couldn't look more different.. both are purebred..

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Like Labby said, the ears don't look right at all, and the tail does seem too long for a Lab, compared to the body length. If there were two black and tan pups in the same litter, I'd put my money on some Shepherd in there.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Hard to say but my dog Chanucy does that with her ears when retrieving or doing anything else she finds exciting. They drop back down when she relaxes.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
It could just be the pictures but the ears & tail seem a bit off for a lab. But there was one purebred lab in Molly's litter that had small ears. :)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what we thought (hubby, sister and I) that there's some shepherd in there. When he stands (the pup) his tail hangs like a shepherd's tail. Ears, tail and hind legs are more shepherd-like than lab-like, methinks.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes (we're getting a lab puppy in May) and no (this is an aquaintance's dog). She was sold a "purebred" golden lab. Not papered or anything, but she paid (I think) $400. He's a sweet dog and a beauty too, she got herself a gem of a dog, I just was leary on if he's actually purebred or not.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have learned some new information and AH HA! I was right!

The "breeder" told the people who bought this dog that he is a pruebred lab, and they also told them the dam's grandfather was half german shepherd, but that because the GSD was "so far back" it doesn't count anymore and thus when they bred their dam who is an 8th GSD, they got a litter of purebred labs. Um no ... the pup in the pictures at the start of this thread is a 16th GSD. Unless I did the math wrong. So yup, that "purebred" pup is part GSD.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I have learned some new information and AH HA! I was right!

The "breeder" told the people who bought this dog that he is a pruebred lab, and they also told them the dam's grandfather was half german shepherd, but that because the GSD was "so far back" it doesn't count anymore and thus when they bred their dam who is an 8th GSD, they got a litter of purebred labs. Um no ... the pup in the pictures at the start of this thread is a 16th GSD. Unless I did the math wrong. So yup, that "purebred" pup is part GSD.
That breeder is full of ****. Unless all lines are pure, no resulting pup can be called purebred. It's a mutt, plain and simple, no matter how far back the dilution occurred. They have no right calling them purebred or asking that kind of money for the pups.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts