Just Labradors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We may be adopting our Lab from the Lab rescue group this weekend. We are so excited to go get him!

I wanted to ask if I should get the metal bowls that come in a stand raised off the floor? Or go with the metal bowls that have the rubber on the bottom to help prevent movement? I think I read where the higher bowls are good for larger breeds, but I've read so much lately I can't remember.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Congrats & thank you for rescuing! Post pics when you get him!

I have a raised bowl for my dog as I feel it is better based on what I've read on large breed dogs that have deep chests (like Labs). They tend to hoover their food & can ingest a lot of extra air if their bowl is on the ground, which can lead to bloat. I've got mine resting on a non-slip mat to keep it in place.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I use metal bowls on the floor. Hopefully someone who remembers will step in here. I think there was some controversy over raised versus not raised.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I think there was some controversy over raised versus not raised.
Yep there was a study that said that raised bowls actually caused bloat.

I don't use them either. My dogs eat with their dishes on the floor. Their water dish is raised but only because my puppies have a tendency to play in it. I might raise a dish on an oldster, but only to the level where they don't have to bend to eat and put pressure on their necks. I'm not a believer in raised dishes.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
I found studies that sway both ways. It seems to be a controversial issue. At any rate, I went through two different kinds with Diesel, one that I would call "elevated" that was just slightly below his collarbone & it was way too high. The one I have now is "raised" & is adjustable. He still has to lower his head but not as high of a degree as he would if it were on the floor. What I have noticed as a difference between on the floor & the raised bowl is that he belches less which tells me he's gasping in less air when eating.

Carolinagirl -- I feel my choice is right for my dog based on how he acts & what I've read (and I have read both sides), it makes sense for us. There are many topics you will encounter here & many differing opinions, so don't always rush to act on just one person's opinion, regardless of the topic! :)

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I don't get the ones with the rubber non-skid ring. I notice if you don't clean it out, it gets scuzzy.
Zoe has plain stainless, a brake fast bowl (to slow her down), a ceramic water dish.

Her bowls are on a mat to prevent skidding.

her stainless one looks something like this w/o the designs

and *not* this, with the rubber ring:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts